Filling Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always blast some air out of your valves just before dropping them off for your fills. Otherwise, spray from the boat or water from the after dive rinse can be forced into the tank when they are filled.

Actually, most folks who fill tanks in most shops are not trained properly.

A lot of hooey on this thread but Walter is right when he says to 'blast' out water from the valve. Of course, any physicist of high school stature will tell you that aluminum conducts heat faster than steel explaining why steel tanks must be filled in a water bath, and aluminum should be. Even room temp water cools a tank MUCH faster than air at the same temp. I'm not sure why this subject should even be up for debate. PSI? huh. If a tank (including aluminum) is filled in air by a 4 cfm compressor at 80 deg ambient the tank will lose 8-10% of its pressure (meaning your tank is underfilled 10%-regardless of other claims here). If you want a tank filled in air 'bath' the rate should not exceed 1 cfm. IOW, 1 2/3 hours to fill an 100 cf tank. How does that grab ya, ya'll? For those who own a compressor the air bath can be used. Simply return to the scene of the crime after an hour or more and add another 10%.

pescador775 once bubbled...
A lot of hooey on this thread but Walter is right when he says to 'blast' out water from the valve. Of course, any physicist of high school stature will tell you that aluminum conducts heat faster than steel explaining why steel tanks must be filled in a water bath, and aluminum should be. Even room temp water cools a tank MUCH faster than air at the same temp. I'm not sure why this subject should even be up for debate. PSI? huh. If a tank (including aluminum) is filled in air by a 4 cfm compressor at 80 deg ambient the tank will lose 8-10% of its pressure (meaning your tank is underfilled 10%-regardless of other claims here). If you want a tank filled in air 'bath' the rate should not exceed 1 cfm. IOW, 1 2/3 hours to fill an 100 cf tank. How does that grab ya, ya'll? For those who own a compressor the air bath can be used. Simply return to the scene of the crime after an hour or more and add another 10%.

You gotta love it if you're a dive shop! They have one thread complaining about short fills and another one suggesting shops shouldn't use water. And of course they want it fast. LOL

I give up, do they want it full or don't they?:confused:

Even filling slow, water makes a big difference. Anyone who says different hasn't filled many tanks, PERIOD

There are some things about these boards that are a real asset but sometimes it's just the blind leading the blind.

Here's my hypothesis: At 4 scfm, my Al80s exhibit no temperature change (to the touch); therefore, during the 15 minutes it takes to fill an AL80, the heat transfer to a water bath is insignificant. (This assumes the tank is pulled from water bath at end of fill).

Currently, I fill the AL80s to a almost 3300 psi, and the final pressure ends up a little over 3000 psi (these are relative pressures since my gauges are not calibrated). In round numbers, the AL80s lose 10% when cooled down.

If a water bath results in a 5% loss, I will stand corrected.

The shop I used to go to filled AL80s in water, filled to 3200 psi, and they consistently cooled to about 3000 psi after all was said and done.

Insignificant difference Stone.

Genesis once bubbled...
The shop I used to go to filled AL80s in water, filled to 3200 psi, and they consistently cooled to about 3000 psi after all was said and done.

Insignificant difference Stone.

How many have you filled in water?

Zero. Why would I?

I fill to 3250 psi for an AL80, and it cools to very close to 3000 psi in an hour or two.

There is no good argument, IMHO, for filling in a water bath, and plenty of good arguments for NOT doing so.

Genesis once bubbled...
Zero. Why would I?

I fill to 3250 psi for an AL80, and it cools to very close to 3000 psi in an hour or two.

There is no good argument, IMHO, for filling in a water bath, and plenty of good arguments for NOT doing so.

Do you leak check a tank during a fill?

You mean the connection between the filler and the tank? Other than by feel, no. Why would I, unless the fill is going slower than it should be? After a fill? Yes. Does it hiss? No? Its not leaking much if at all. Since I wait for the tank to cool before analyzing, any leak of significance will be obvious when I put the analyzer on it (there's a gauge on there)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom