Filling LP tanks to high pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are LOTS of people like this and they and their tanks are fine.

This picture trotted out is probably from Europe. They often do not have burst disks. I'm looking at my Inspiration valve and there is no burst disk.

The comments regarding heat are not correct. A "hot" tank is not "10%" more full. At quick look at Guy-Lussac's law will tell you that pressure will double if temperature doubles. Take your 70F tanks and leave them in a 150F trunk and you'll probably lose your burst disk. If you leave a tank with no burst disk in a Nissan Pathfinder that caught fire you should expect the tank to explode. If you fill more modern LP tanks to 3500psi over and over you should expect that they will outlast you unless you let them rust to hell. Just use burst disks.

Just a quick technical correction.. Didn't read the whole thread to see if anyone else addressed it.

For an ideal gas, absolute pressure doubles when absolute temperature (in Kelvin) doubles. Going from 70F to 150F doesn't even come close to doubling the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search posts by me. I've supplied as much REAL info as I care to. I distributed both Faber and Worthington steel cylinders and worked with Worthington's cylinder engineers in the creation of the X series tanks. Everything I posted is the absolute truth. No I heard,I got a friend who, and all the other crap you hear. Everything I posted was from the DOT, OSHA, CGA, AND cylinder engineers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom