Filling double tank setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I am getting my doubles soon, I am just wondering how do we fill the double tank via manifold with isolation valves? Do we fill up the tanks independently (with the isolator closed) or we can simply fill up the tanks with either one of the valves (with the isolator open).

Also wondering, how do people fill tanks with 200 bar and/or 300 bar manifolds?

Thanks a ton!!!

Generally, the manifold is left open and both tanks are filled at once. Sometimes the manifold is left closed and only one tank is filled. Never heard of a shop that filled the tanks separately unless specifically requested.

we can simply fill up the tanks with either one of the valves (with the isolator open).
That's the way to do it. I can't think of any good reason why anyone would intentionally fill doubles with the manifold closed. When gas blending, it is a dangerous practice. I leave my manifold open at all times, unless gas is catastrophically leaking out of one tank.

THE ISOLATOR SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN THE OPEN POSITION!!!!

The only time it should ever be shut is if you need to isolate a post. Make sure it works as part of your valve drills.

There have been many accidents(deaths and badly messed up-vegtable like) from filling with the isolator shut or diving with the isolator shut(I even treated one of those...)

Get together with a tech instructor and at least go thru configuration and drills with doubles, even if your not looking to tech dive with them. A couple hours will make you much safer in the water

Best,

Chris

Every time you put your hand on your manifold - in the garage, on the boat, in the shop getting a fill - alway make sure the isolator is open. Sooner or later, someone will inadvertently close it.
After a fill, you really have to make sure it's open - better you hear the hiss of twins equalizing in the shop after the tank monkey screwed up than at 170'.
So twist, and twist often. A little one way, a little back the other to balance it out, and you'll always be ok.

Halthron:
Sometimes the manifold is left closed and only one tank is filled.

Why?

Once, I got my tanks back from a shop and found that they'd closed the isolator and filled them separately, resulting in two slightly different nitrox mixes. Apparently someone wasted a bunch of time...

Isolator open: check.

As for filling DIN manifolds... some fill stations have DIN whips or there is a little brass block that screws in so that the yoke whips will fit. Most shops have them, but call before you haul your tanks in.

Rachel

biscuit7:
Isolator open: check.

As for filling DIN manifolds... some fill stations have DIN whips or there is a little brass block that screws in so that the yoke whips will fit. Most shops have them, but call before you haul your tanks in.

Rachel

On my twinned 104's I go only where they have whips long enough to reach the back of my truck....

yeah, what everybody else said

check isolator is open, fill through either valve

if you don't do valve checks all that often, isolator valves have a tendency
to get really hard to open and close. i would make it a habit to make sure
you can easily close and re-open the isolator valve

Thanks for the responses guys!!! Will make checks on my isolator prior to every dive and from time to time.

Also, is there any difference between filling up doubles with 200 bar and/or 300 bar manifold. Do people use yoke insert adapters for the 200 bar manifold and then fill the tanks with the typical yoke tank filler? If not, how are they filled? How about 300 bar manifolds, are they filled differently?

Thanks a ton!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom