Filling double tank setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
Thanks for the responses guys!!! Will make checks on my isolator prior to every dive and from time to time.

Also, is there any difference between filling up doubles with 200 bar and/or 300 bar manifold. Do people use yoke insert adapters for the 200 bar manifold and then fill the tanks with the typical yoke tank filler? If not, how are they filled? How about 300 bar manifolds, are they filled differently?

Thanks a ton!!!
It depends on the shop I guess...My local shop has all din fill whips and when he has to fill a tank with a yoke valve, he screws a yoke adapter on to the whip..I guess if you have a 300bar manifold, you better hope everywhere you get fills they have a DIN fill whip...Myself, I dont every recall having a problem with this anywhere...
And just to reiterate what others are saying, you should never close the isolator valve unless it is for a safety drill, or a real emergency....But when getting a fill, it should be open...First, the shop might not notice, and you'll get half a fill. I've witnessed this several times..Also, if you get a nitrox blend, its not going to be accurate...
I highly recomend taking a course that will teach you emergency procedures to use with doubles. Having 2 tanks with 2 regs attached is the safest way to dive, but it wont help you if you dont know how to use them..

If the shop fills the tanks separately find another shop. If they turn off the isolator, find another shop. Additionally if the shop is not set up to deal with din manifolds 200 and 300 bar, find another shop. If you are diving doubles find the shop in your area that deals with Tech diving.

The first time I took my doubles in for filling I picked it up and they had closed the isolator and only filled one side ... I asked why they had done that and he said he assumed I would be diving 2 different mixes, and that doubles were so I could choose 2 different nitrox mixes on a dive... Now I tape the isolator open so they can't touch it (it happened 2x - unfortunately the fill crew at the time was not very aware of gear, unlike the rest of the shop staff...)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
The first time I took my doubles in for filling I picked it up and they had closed the isolator and only filled one side ... I asked why they had done that and he said he assumed I would be diving 2 different mixes, and that doubles were so I could choose 2 different nitrox mixes on a dive... Now I tape the isolator open so they can't touch it (it happened 2x - unfortunately the fill crew at the time was not very aware of gear, unlike the rest of the shop staff...)

Aloha, Tim

People that have no idea how an isolation manifold works, shouldnt be touching them

wunat:
Does this work on 300 bar manifolds?
Yes

kidspot:

Aloha, Tim

I'm sure this shop lifted your tanks properly too, you know, by grabbing the middle of the isolator where it's most convenient :wink:

--Matt

You laugh, but I've seen it.....

I make sure I'm there if they are filling my doubles or VIPing for that matter.

MilitantMedic:
You laugh, but I've seen it.....

I make sure I'm there if they are filling my doubles or VIPing for that matter.
I've seen it by guys doing it to their own tanks. :11doh:

Back
Top Bottom