Fill whip - cosmetic or time to replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protects the Arimid fibers from UV exposure, physical damage (abrasion) and chemical attack. The pattern of the fibers is what gives it the strength. There is nothing to protect the fibers and keep the pattern correct.

Replace, yes. Would I still use the hose until the new one shows up? don't tell OSHA but I would.

August shipping is notoriously expensive.

August shipping is notoriously expensive.
I ordered a DIN to NPT adaptor earlier this summer with very good shipping.
I can now use my DIN tank pressure checker on my bulk gas (He and O2) cylinders.

Protects the Arimid fibers from UV exposure, physical damage (abrasion) and chemical attack. The pattern of the fibers is what gives it the strength. There is nothing to protect the fibers and keep the pattern correct.

Replace, yes. Would I still use the hose until the new one shows up? don't tell OSHA but I would.

sort of. The aramid fibers do need to be protected from UV exposure and any chemicals as it degrades rapidly when exposed to pretty much everything. Physical abrasion and cutting is not something that aramid fibers are prone to and they are certainly more resistant to abrasion and cutting than the outer layers, but that's not really a design consideration.
The "pattern" that you're talking about is the braid and the outer layer does not have any effect on it's integrity. Braids when under tension will not move and when these hoses are under pressure the braids hold. Fire hoses are made similarly without any outer covering.

That said, to @guruboy that is likely a nylon braid btw. We don't use nomex in this type of application and the para-aramids *kevlar/twaron* are not white. They are naturally bright yellow and while they can be dyed other colors, they can't be turned white. Nylon is the grandfather of the aramid group and is a poly-amide so they are related, but it is not an aramid fiber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom