Fill whip - cosmetic or time to replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Noticed the outer coating of my whip is cracked.

cosmetic or time to replace?

072F6779-0A16-41C8-9D09-88E3B3902C9B.jpeg

What’s the purpose of the thin rubber coating? Protect the braided hose from abrasion?

This is the DGX whip. Details from the website -

The hose complies with SAE 100R8 standards having a { 5000 psi | 350 bar } working pressure and is aramid braid reinforced thermoplastic with a nylon core and black perforated polyurethane cover.

.. or time to replace?
You don't have to replace the ENTIRE whip,,,,just replace the hose. If you don't want to go the internet route, just stop at any road construction project with heavy machinery and ask the foreman who he uses for hose replacement locally. Those hoses burst all the time and you can't have a machine down for long. Many hose replacement guys will come directly to you with a mobile truck filled with fittings usually in less than an hour. They will hydraulically swedge the ends with the correct parts of your whip and have you fixed for just a couple of dollars. I needed a custom short 6 inch LP hose for my pony bottle last year, cost me $6.50 and was done in less than 15 minutes. It took more time to talk to the tech about spearfishing and diving than the assembly.

What’s the purpose of the thin rubber coating? Protect the braided hose from abrasion?

This is the DGX whip. Details from the website -

The hose complies with SAE 100R8 standards having a { 5000 psi | 350 bar } working pressure and is aramid braid reinforced thermoplastic with a nylon core and black perforated polyurethane cover.

If the hose complies fully to SAE100R8 as they state then it will have a manufacturers name country of origin and more importantly a date of manufacture (month/year). I suspect you have neither and one reason why HP hose from a scuba shop is not the best of suppliers. Cheap imports from the likes of China and Taiwan for the scuba market typically use old stock industrial SAE100 R8 or R9 hose for that retail public market with the hose itself upwards of 10 years old before they start fitting end fittings gauges etc and the inporter sells it to you for new.

When getting a replacement ask for a known printed date of manufacture on the hose itself, the manufacturer and country of origin. Failing that look for companies like Parker, Synflex or Swagelok. at the quality end also if your using oxygen both Parker and Synflex (Eaton Hose) do a range of non conductive hose especially for Oxygen usually with a distinctive orange colour outer protective sheath showing it has a non conductive liner.

Maybe not absolute for the scuba single filler or the "Ive been doing it for years without" lot but you takes your chance.

Two options either its not got a date of manufacture and your conned with old junk from a dive store or: It's got a date of manufacture and its imported junk from China et al and you've been conned by a dive store.

You don't have to replace the ENTIRE whip,,,,just replace the hose. If you don't want to go the internet route, just stop at any road construction project with heavy machinery and ask the foreman who he uses for hose replacement locally. Those hoses burst all the time and you can't have a machine down for long. Many hose replacement guys will come directly to you with a mobile truck filled with fittings usually in less than an hour. They will hydraulically swedge the ends with the correct parts of your whip and have you fixed for just a couple of dollars. I needed a custom short 6 inch LP hose for my pony bottle last year, cost me $6.50 and was done in less than 15 minutes. It took more time to talk to the tech about spearfishing and diving than the assembly.

I wonder what grease they use in the pallet swage fitting crimper for road constuction heavy equipment hydraulic hose assembly fittings? Just saying.

cosmetic or time to replace?

Yes and yes.

An issue with HP hoses that never go in the water is that you never get to see the "champagne" bubbles that indicate a hose leak before a failure. i sometimes get cavalier about IP air, but have a very high respect HP air, I've seen the aftermath of some mistakes.

Yes, and yes. FWIW - I use a SS braided hose on my fill whip. Abrasion/UV/atmospheric resistance....

And perforations / sharp pokey things.

Don't underestimate how bad that will whip you should it fail. A failure can flail the whole mess around at hundreds of miles an hour. Image a 6ft whip with a chunk of brass on the end smashing your fill station and skull to pieces as it whips around - bad news. Definitely time to replace now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom