Fiji Trip Report - Matangi Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypersonic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving Fiji was on the top on my must do dives. The next question was where in Fiji? Fodor's guide book, In Focus Fiji ($10.95 @ Barnes & Noble) provided the most comprehensive review of resorts in Fiji as well as a brief summary on diving in the local areas.

Matangi Island fit the bill for my wife and I. Just the opposite of the commercial chaos of Cozumel, Matangi is a perfect example of an unspoiled South Pacific Island...peaceful and serene. We were not disappointed.

We booked an early morning flight to LAX which gave us enough time to take a day room at the Raddison near the airport. After a nice nap, shower and dinner we made our way back to the terminal for the 22:45 Air Pacific 10.5 hr flight to Nadi.

After arrival in Nadi, there is a fairly short wait for a connecting flight to Taveuni, 75 minutes in a Twin Otter. On Taveuni, a Matangi van took us on a bit bumpy 20 min drive to a beach where you wade out to a Matangi boat for the last 20 min leg of the journey.

The boat is met on the Matangi beach by the resort staff singing a traditional Fijian welcome and a fresh cut coconut with a straw to drink the milk. Everyone calls you by your first name and it is remembered for the duration of your stay.

The resort started out as a dive resort, today I suspect most of their business is honeymooners. For the first day of diving it was us and a couple from Philly finishing their open water. They had their DM and we had ours. For the next four days we were the only divers and for the week, we never even seen another dive boat.

Late January is the middle of their summer and the rainy season. Yep it rained a couple of days, usually in the afternoon. But the weather varied from near-perfect to calling the second dive on day two due to it being a bit rough on the surface (plus we were tired). We had nine exceptional dives and can't complain a bit.

Did not see a lot of big stuff, just a handful of white tips and a couple of schools of barracuda. Coral and small fish were there in abundance. Everywhere one looked was a Kodak moment, we had nearly a thousand underwater pictures. Still trying to sort thru them. There are miles and miles of reefs to explore, we barely scratched the surface.

Our typical day was dive, eat, read and relax. Just exactly what we were hoping for.

Can't say enough about the Fijian staff. About the most friendly people I have ever met. They love to smile, love to laugh, love to sing and harmonize. Talk to them one on one and they will share details about their lives and are interested in how we live as well.

The food was creative and very well presented. Typically two choices for a starter and two choices for the entree (both lunch and dinner), fruit or a sweet treat for desert. Fresh baked cookies are available 24/7...sodas and other snacks extra co$t. Fiji beer is Gold and Bitters? Never tried the Bitters as the Gold fit our palate just fine. Wine and mixed drinks also available, a bit expensive as they are at any remote island.

Included in the stay is a private lunch on a secluded beach in Horseshoe Bay to skinny dip or play in the sand (use your own imagination). We opted out and had them take us to the bay for an afternoon of snorkeling instead.

Wireless internet is available in the dining area or guests can use a computer in the office for 50 cents (Fijian) per minute. Vodafone had a rental kiosk at the Nadi airport and a few people at the resort were using cell phones though am not sure which carrier they were using.

Clocks are in short supply at the resort, and things tend to run a bit late. It might also be wise to bring your favorite snacks like nuts or energy bars since the resort has a limited $election.

All too soon the week in paradise was over. The staff sings you off, the boat makes a high speed pass by the waving crowd and you throw a lei into the water signifying an early return to the island. We should be so lucky!

ps. There are several shops in the Nadi departure lounge for gifts and souvenirs.

pps. A couple of miles from Matangi is a slightly larger island. Steve Forbes sold it to the Austrian owner of Red Bull for ten million. Red Bull is building the world's second seven star resort (yes 7). Bures will go from $10k to $15k per day. Soon to open...there goes the neighborhood.

Matangi Private Island Resort

Thanks for the report.

My wife and I visited Matangi several years ago and I totally agree with everything Hypersonic has said. We visited a small island where locals treated us to a great dance show and offered some of their local art which we still treasure. Prices are incredibly low.

The US was just deciding to go to war with Iraq when we were there and the owner kept us informed of events. At that time, they didn't offer Internet access.

One really interesting thing happened to me while attempting a night dive. My Air Integrated dive computer got snaged (quick disconnect apparantly failed) on some coral and came loose but I didn't notice it was missing for 2 or 3 minutes. Rather than risk a dangerous situation, my wife and I immediately surfaced and made our way back to the boat. When the dive master returned, he immediately asked what had happened. I did my best to explain when it happened and at what depth. He immediately jumped into the water and down to the reef once again. I was shocked when he surfaced a few mintues later with my computer in hand. He had found it and remember this was a night dive. At the end of the week, I obviously tried to provide a healthy tip. He refused and we both cried as he put the tip into the Christmas fund for the children. I will never forget this experience.

I highly recommend Matangi. The setting is spectacular, the diving is terrific and the people are the best. We still plan to return as it is certainly rates as one of our favorite dive trips out of the 20 or so we've taken.

I'm going to matangi in may 2011 for my 2nd year wedding anniversary. How was the heat when you guys went? Also hows the bugs? Anything I should know or be warned about before I get there? Am I supposed to tip or not? I didn't see if I should or not. Also should I carry plenty of cash on me for anything secial?

My wife doesn't do scuba, but she does like to snorkel. I'm going to try and lightly give her a nudge to try scuba...but if there really is sharks almost on every dive I won't due to the fact she will turn into jesus and walk on water back to the boat. lol

I'm going to matangi in may 2011 for my 2nd year wedding anniversary. How was the heat when you guys went? Also hows the bugs? Anything I should know or be warned about before I get there? Am I supposed to tip or not? I didn't see if I should or not. Also should I carry plenty of cash on me for anything secial?

My wife doesn't do scuba, but she does like to snorkel. I'm going to try and lightly give her a nudge to try scuba...but if there really is sharks almost on every dive I won't due to the fact she will turn into jesus and walk on water back to the boat. lol

I've been to a lot of islands and didn't find Matangi all that warm. It's a small island with plenty of breezes and the bures are very close to the water. We didn't have any bug issues at all.
Tipping is not expected in Fiji. They have a childrens Christmas fund where tips are stored.
We didn't spend much extra but did buy some local art work but that did not cost much at all. I think we used some Fijian funds for that purchase. I'm sure we didn't take more than $200 in cash for extra purchases.
My wife just started to dive about 3 months before our Fiji trip. Just find a good calm and caring instructor for her and she'll love it.
Sharks aren't an issue at all at most of the dive sites. I"m sure we saw a few but only on few dives. The guides are Matangi are amazing and we rarely had any current either. The know the tides very well and just avoid tide caused currents.

You'll both love it. Out of all our trips, it still ranks among the top. Have fun.

We are both very excited to go...She can't wait to lay around on the beach and well... I can't wait to go diving.

We are headed to Matangi in May of 2011 also, to celebrate our 9th anniversary. We will be there May 19-29.
I just talked to Linda at south seas adventures. she has done over 1000 dives in Fiji and highly recommends Matangi.

My wife and I were there in the month of April and we did get some passing rainshowers but good weather most days and no days cancelled due to weather. It was a bit muggy at times though. We had a few mosquitos but not much else. There were a couple of roaming chickens to eat the bugs and the roaster to wake us up. This is on the far side where we were. You most likely won't see them if you're toward the center or other side of the resort (and that is assuming they are still there).
Do take some snacks as the small store is limited in stock.

Don't tip but do bring some money for the Xmas fund for the staff and if space/weight is available in your luggage, bring some school supplies such as pens, pencils, paper or other basic supplies for the local schools.

Extra cash: They occasionally have local artists and carvers come to the resort so bring a bit of extra cash for that. We could not add that to the resort bill.
If you do go to Taveuni for Tovoro Falls (Bouma Nat'l park) there is a small entrance fee (great side trip). Other than that you should not need extra cash unless some policies have changed.

On the surface interval they offered us hot tea. I brought my own water.

We did not see sharks on every dive. Those we did see (whitetip reef) left in a hurry. I don't think the area is known for alot of sharks as I understand are around Bega Lagoon.

Do pay extra for Somosomo straits dives.

Do dive Yellow wall, Noel's wall and the edge. These are right around the corner of Matangi.

@scubadonn - I will be there may 25 to june 2. hope to see ya on the boat. :) I hope I can get some night dives in to boot.

17 weeks to go YAY!!!!

Do you guys know if they do snooba(snorkle with a hooka) at Matangi? The wife dont' know it yet but ill probably push her to try scuba agian lol

@scubadonn - I will be there may 25 to june 2. hope to see ya on the boat. :) I hope I can get some night dives in to boot.

Do you guys know if they do snooba(snorkle with a hooka) at Matangi? The wife dont' know it yet but ill probably push her to try scuba agian lol

They do not do Snuba, as far as I could tell. The snorkeling is quite good, though. Also, when I asked, they said that they did not do night dives. Hope this helps.

oh noesssssss that sucks.

Any thing else can people think off that might have nice to know before hand about the resort?

For the extra cash should I carry for fiji money or us money?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom