Fiji Trip Report - Matangi Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh noesssssss that sucks.

Any thing else can people think off that might have nice to know before hand about the resort?

For the extra cash should I carry for fiji money or us money?

I am not sure if you are referring to the lack of snuba, or the lack of night dives. With respect to the snuba thing, maybe your wife would like to the try the resort course diving. There were two couples who tried this when we we there, and they really liked it. The diving was right in front of the resort, and it was supposed to be very good (did not try that myself). You could probably dive with her there, too.

One other thought with respect to night diving. You may be able to set it up so you dive with Qamea, which does night dives. I suspect this will depend if they will run you out by boat to Qamea (or if Qamea will pick you up) in the dark. I know that they cooperate with Qamea resort in a number of ways (lending out the experienced dive master, Bale, to train the less experienced dive guides at Qamea, for example).

I changed $100 US when I got to Fiji, and only spent about a fourth of it by the end of my trip. There was not too much to spend cash on. Maybe email the folks at Matangi to let them know when plans (i.e., tours, etc.) you have, and they can give you guidance tailored to you.

I just posted a trip report on this board, and it has a little bit of additional information, if you want to have a look.

Good luck!
-Erwin

snuba is a meh, more towards the night dive but it's not a huge loss. Any spots you recommend to dive that I don't miss? I got some extra time this sunday, I'll have to email the folks at mantani then.

thnx

snuba is a meh, more towards the night dive but it's not a huge loss. Any spots you recommend to dive that I don't miss? I got some extra time this sunday, I'll have to email the folks at mantani then.

thnx

All of the dive sites were excellent. The soft coral at Coconut Swirl was spectacular. Be forewarned that the current can be very strong, and can be challenging. My wife's favorite dive was Veranda, which is very close to the resort (~5 minute boat ride from Matangi). I also liked "The Wreck," "Bura Bura," and all of the others we went to, as well. Yellow Wall was beautiful, but they typically only do this one if they have more divers.

Have fun!

Any thing else can people think off that might have nice to know before hand about the resort??

Assuming they still have the free daily laundry (I was there in 2007), the best advice I can give is you don't need to pack much clothing :)

Oh, and one more thing. Bring a rash guard.

rash guard? you walkin on coral or what? ;p

When we were there, we spent a TON of time snorkeling. The rash guard is for sun protection, so you don't fry your back. :thumbs-up

rash guard? you walkin on coral or what? ;p

@scubadonn - I will be there may 25 to june 2. hope to see ya on the boat. :) I hope I can get some night dives in to boot.

17 weeks to go YAY!!!!

How cool! I'm counting down the days til paradise!!

oh yea,... better then this 5 to 20" of snow I'm getting right now. lol

I emailed the resort about some scuba questions like prices and what not.

We also do night diving and if you are interested I would recommend you bring your flashlight.
Just figured I would mention that in case donna wanted to do it or someone else so they don't forget their light.

I emailed the resort about some scuba questions like prices and what not.

Just figured I would mention that in case donna wanted to do it or someone else so they don't forget their light.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. It is not what they told me, so it must have changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom