Fiji- Mamanuca HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daxter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Help me, please :headshake . I have searched all the threads that deal with Fiji, I think. Lots of information on the east side of Fiji but almost no mention of the west side, and yes I know the diving is not as good but am going on honeymoon, diving not quite top priority :D. Woulg like to know if any one has diving experience with aqua-trek matamanoa and what are the dive sites I should try to get to if possible(Gotham City, Supermarket, ect.). Thanks in advance!!

Hey Daxter,

I was diving in the Mamanuca Islands in January 2005 and had a terrific time. I stayed at the Malolo Island Resort and dove with Subsurface Fiji, who had an on-site dive shop. Their website has an overview of some of the area's dive sites (http://www.fijidiving.com/en/dive-sites.html) and I'm sure many are the same ones that Aqua-Trek visits. I really really enjoyed Supermarket, which had dozens of 5- to 6-foot reef sharks swimming by us (and just below us) as we drifted along the reef. Unfortunately, I didn't get to dive the Gotham City site because the boat had been there the day I arrived. I heard it was good as well.

I really enjoyed the Pinnacles site because there were some swim-through bommies and quite a few lion fish and moray eels. Other sites that I liked were Pleasure Reef, Charlie's Reef, Sunflower Reef and a site near Charlie's Reef called Camel Humps. The variety and colours of the corals were fantastic and there were reef fish as thick as pea soup. I still rave to my buddies about the diving in the Mamanucas and wish I could find the cash to go back there every year.

I hope you and your spouse-to-be have a terrific time on Matamanoa island. All the best.

Cheers,
Mike

Scuba Mike, Thanks for the info, lot of dive sites. Cant wait, nice to hear that there is good diving on that side of Fiji.

I took a sailboat cruise through the Mananucca Islands in May 04.

I would highly recommend it as a way to have a personalized trip. Your own boat, your own captain, your own chef. When went through the islands and hooked up with resorts to dive with. They would come out to the boat to pick you up and drop you off afterwards. The chef is waiting with your lobster lunch. Very nice. We paid $350 a day per person for two people. Diving was the resort prices. You can check out yacht charter sites.

We did Gotham City, Supermarket, Sunflower Reef and some other sites. All great diving. Gotham City very cool with big morays who came right up to us. Dive guides pure Fijian, very cool.

Daxter:
Help me, please :headshake . I have searched all the threads that deal with Fiji, I think. Lots of information on the east side of Fiji but almost no mention of the west side, and yes I know the diving is not as good but am going on honeymoon, diving not quite top priority :D. Woulg like to know if any one has diving experience with aqua-trek matamanoa and what are the dive sites I should try to get to if possible(Gotham City, Supermarket, ect.). Thanks in advance!!

Can you tell me if the Mamanuca Islands are easy dives for beginners (just finished dive course)? And would you recommend it for honeymooners?

West coast of Fiji is totally different than south coast or east coast.

Within a 1 hour drive of Nadi it is mostly pasture land with grass and sugar cane, Central south Fiji is more highlands, and the further east you go the more intense the hillside and jungles get.

fiji is more than just diving, and if you don't get into the mainland jungle you're missing out on many village experiences and waterfalls. Upper Navua River Gorge rafting trip is a must do.

My 3rd trip to Fiji is coming up in a couple weeks, this time Taveuni and another return visit Beqa island and Kulu Bay resort.

All depends on what you want to experience, but the drive from Nadi to Pacific Harbor is a blast with many sites to see in between.

Orchid:

These dives should be no problem. as with all diving, think for yourself and you'll be fine.

The islands in that area are relatively small so not much to do beyond diving, snorkeling, relaxing and honeymoon extracirrculars. Additionally, it has a tendency to rain and may stick around a while. For that reason, I wouldn't plan to stay in one place more than 4 days. Spread the risk by going a couple places at least.

Fiji has the most friendly people on Earth, and it's certainly a beautiful place. They are so friendly that they were yelling Bula! (Hello) at us driving through the village in a car. I am not kidding. Many places people can't be bothered to return a greeting and these guys yell Hello to unknown peole driving by at 25 MPH. Very cool.

swingorchid:
Can you tell me if the Mamanuca Islands are easy dives for beginners (just finished dive course)? And would you recommend it for honeymooners?

I just returned yesterday from Fiji - ugh! My first 3 days were spent at Matamonoa Island in the Mamanucas. First of all is was great resort with only 60 people with great Bures (villas) and super staff. This is laid back living. Just a place to hang out on the beach or by the pool.

The diving is hard coral gardens with decent fish life and an occasional shark in the distance. Aqua-Tek took me out by myself or with one other diver max.

That said. my diving off the East side of Fiji with the Nia'a was simply spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom