Fiji Airways - anyone with experience with extra baggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I just booked a trip on Fiji Airways (formerly Air Pacific) to Taveuni for the 2nd week of November. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with my baggage and Fiji Airways baggage limits. If it was just dive gear and clothes we could probably each manage with one 50 pound checked bag and a small carryon. But I also take a DLSR housing, multiple ports and lens, strobes, arms, chargers. laptop, and various other electronics. On a usual trip to the Caribbean on a US carrier I probably carryon two bags totalling 50 pounds or more, and that's all camera and electronics, all the dive gear is checked (except dive computers carried on).

Fiji Airways 15 pound carryon limit is what gives me the most problem. How closely do they monitor that? I hear conflicting info such as from LAX to Nadi it's likley not a problem, but between Nadi and Taveuni it might be. I also hear conflicting info about the checked baggage limit. Some say that since I have a ticket from LAX - Nadi - Taveuni then the higher international limit applies for the whole trip including Nadi to Taveuni, others say the agent in Taveuni might try to impose the lower domestic limit.

I've considered just paying for an extra checked bag each way which would be more than enough, though that would mean putting at least some of the delicate and expensive camera gear into the checked so I worry about damage, theft or the extra bag not making it onto our plane.

For anyone with recent experience flying Fiji Airways, particulary including to the outer islands, what was your experience with any extra baggage or over the limit carryons?

Last edited:
When we flew from LAX - Nadi - Taveuni last year it wasn't a problem with heavy carry ons. Like everything with airways, it depends on the ticket agent you get and whether they care. Some do, some don't. They didn't care for us even though my carry on was at least 25 pounds with reg, two cameras, housing, etc.

The plane over to Taveuni is a 15 passenger narrow prop, so your carry on is actually in the back with the rest of the luggage. No room in the cabin. So they often weigh it but that is just because they need to properly weight the plane.

If I may...suggest you ask CBM32...about this. He's actually IN Fiji right now...and is pretty familiar with the baggage issues in that area. He may be able to give you the correct info. He's often in the chatroom.

Kurt

The flight to Taveuni is a small plane landing on a grass strip. You may be able to get there but coming back could also be a problem as they always weigh people and their luggage together for the return flight.

Your international flight will be under scrutiny as well, as they can be strict on checked and carryon weights as well. They will definitely enforce weights on checked bags and they often weigh carryons, but it's luck of the draw on whether you get attention or not. I always wear my backpack to the counter and give the appearance of little weight.

I've given up on trying to carry all that stuff on and stick to just the most delicate or essential. Much easier than stressing.

Do you feel lucky?

As has been said by others, weight restrictions are enforced haphazardly on the international flights. I would say, just a WAG (wild azz guess) that about 80% of the carry on baggage is not really scrutinized. It is put on a scale to tag but most of the time the agents dont even look at what the scale says (especially if you are friendly and manage to engage them in some light banter). However, the other 20% end up with some pretty stiff overweight costs unless they are able to shift some stuff into your checked bags.

When we flew here this time from LAX I dealt with some of the brass in the Fiji Airways front office to get my flights and baggage stuff. They lead me to believe that everything was very closely checked now (as opposed to when I went two years ago and nothing was really checked for weight) and so I paid for an extra dive bag and made sure everything was right on the limits. When we were checking bags and getting the carry on stuff tagged I saw lots of people who had carry on stuff that was obviously over weight and larger than it was supposed to be and it just flew right threw with no problem. However, a little further down the line someone was getting dinged for over weight stuff by an agent that wasnt in a good mood :)

I have not been to Taveuni but when we flew to Kadavu there was no problem with baggage weight but when we flew back I had to pay for overweight bags.

It really is very hit and miss with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom