Fialed HP tanks....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posed this question on the end of a recent thread response but I'm really curious about the answer.

An HP tank, say a PST E7-100 fails hydro, is it finished? Or depending on the tanks response can it be downgraded to a lesser rating?

The LP tanks start with the + and get to assume the nominal rating as long as they fail in a certain range.

Even the MP tanks can drop back to the lesser rating.

I'm considering some HP cylinders and I'm wondering how close to the edge these things are operating.

Pete

There is no fallback on a HP tank.

That being said, HP tanks have a different testing regimen than their LP brethren and it may just be a matter of sending the tank back to the tester with documentation on the proper testing technique.

Peter

spectrum:
I posed this question on the end of a recent thread response but I'm really curious about the answer.

An HP tank, say a PST E7-100 fails hydro, is it finished? Or depending on the tanks response can it be downgraded to a lesser rating?
Once a tank FAILS hydro it must be condemed and cannot be put back into service.

Once a tank FAILS hydro it must be condemned and cannot be put back into service.

You are confusing two kinds of tanks. PST is an exempt cylinder and the other tanks you list are 3AA cylinders. Each cylinder is controlled by DOT and the re-qualifications are spelled out under DOT rules.

E (exempt) tanks are not subject to the +(plus) stamp and 3AA cylinders that have qualified for a + stamp must pass a hydro AND meet REE specifications listed for that cylinder to be re-stamped with a +.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom