FI or CCV? (somewhat long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. peterbj7, I will keep the Red Sea in mind but I wanted to explore Central America before the area is decimated by tourism.

So CCV here I come!

Does anyone have any experience with arranging for a pony bottle rental at CCV?

pharmguy:
Does anyone have any experience with arranging for a pony bottle rental at CCV?

Hmmm.. I'm not sure they rent ponys, I believe the smallest tank I remember seeing was a 50cf. You might have to bring your own.

I don't think they rent pony's. We've used the 50cf tanks for sling tanks a few times. Worked out really well.

Some people I know have opposite view.They have been to FI 11 times in last few years. They want no part of Coco-View.

leiserom:
Some people I know have opposite view.They have been to FI 11 times in last few years. They want no part of Coco-View.

All the resorts have their own fan base. And in alot of ways there's no way to compare FI and CCV. Yes, they share the same area for shore diving, more or less. I've never stayed at FI but from what I understand, that's where the similarities end.

pharmguy:
As many dives as I can possibly do in 1 week of tropical bliss.
. . . . .
So CCV here I come!

Pharmguy,

In two weeks I will be leaving for CCV. Having never been to Roatan before I researched all the info on this board and other locations, spoke with other divers who had been to both locations and made my decision based on what I was looking for - the most dives possible with the least amount of effort on my behalf! :D

I am doing this trip without my husband (he dives but 2 dives a day are his norm), so I'm not looking for any nightlife, island tours or other stuff that he and I would normally do on vacation. Just want to dive and take pictures!!

I'll post a trip review when I return. Hope you have a great time!

Roz In Phx

Coco View/ Fantasy Island

I've yet to go to either one. I guess I'm waiting to be convinced that I should go there instead of going to other places I frequent in the western hemisphere.

Regards,

I was at FI in August....nice hotel, air conditioning, very good dive op. Sea life? not so hot. Would I go back to FI? Sure, in a minute, it it was someplace other than Roatan. I was hard pressed to use a roll in my camera due to lack of something to shoot....go to Cayman Brac instead.

I've been to both - If diving is your priority then CCV is the only choice.

If you want a really nice room, a beatiful beach, and nicer dinning FI.

The shore diving at CCV is truely UNLIMITED.

The resorts sit on opposite sides of a channel - the diving "wall & reck" are on the CCV side. Also the CCV dive shop is right on the dock, so everything is right there. At Fantasy you will have to arange with the shop to have your tanks brought to the Cabana by boat, and then have to swim across the channel ,150 yards following a cable to get to the sites mentioned above.

The best way I could sum it up is:
Fantasy trys hard to be a plush "for Roatan" resort that also has a dive shop
CoCoView trys hard to be a dive shop that also has comfortable accomidations

Once you identify what your priorty is the choice is easy

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom