Question FFM risks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this shop also have a rule they won't fill any tank more than 20 years old?
Must have snorkels?
No solo diving as it’s dangerous?
No deco?
No diving below 30m/100ft?
You must obey the DiveMasters
No dives longer than 40mins?

They do seem like a bundle of laughs.

Sounds like the shop has made a gross assumption on a topic that they know nothing about. There are certainly drawbacks to a FFM, but most can be overcome with training.

The few risks I have identified: (I have the card and have had the FFM down to 135ft)

1. free flowing if you orient your head/exhaust valve upward.
2. loss of breathing gas if the seal isnt good around your face.
3. SMB deployment from depth can be tricky of you are used to orally inflating.

Sounds like the shop has made a gross assumption on a topic that they know nothing about. There are certainly drawbacks to a FFM, but most can be overcome with training.

The few risks I have identified: (I have the card and have had the FFM down to 135ft)

1. free flowing if you orient your head/exhaust valve upward.
2. loss of breathing gas if the seal isnt good around your face.
3. SMB deployment from depth can be tricky of you are used to orally inflating.
One more:
Breathing from a donated reg will require you to doff the FFM, which will add stress to an OOA situation. You should practice this frequently with a buddy.

One more:
Breathing from a donated reg will require you to doff the FFM, which will add stress to an OOA situation. You should practice this frequently with a buddy.
Depending on the FFM and how you train, even this isn't required. At least with the OTS Guardian, you can pull it up to allow the reg to be in your mouth while still maintaining the seal for the rest of your face on the FFM, allowing you to still see and use it as a functioning mask. It feels a little weird, and looks a lot weird, but it is easy to do after practicing a couple times and works well for OOA situations if you don't have a backup mask for whatever reason.

Are FFM a good way to start nervous children/youths in scuba?

Are FFM a good way to start nervous children/youths in scuba?
I wouldn't think so, I'm no psychologist, but i would think you'd want to solve the issues at hand directly. I think snorkeling is a good way to start to introduce towards scuba, and then a discover scuba course

I love my FFM and it has helped me enjoy diving more. Having said that, I would never have been able to complete the safety drills with it had I not already been comfortable in the water with my regular kit. Mask removal and replacement is more difficult with a FFM. I carry a backup mask and second stage, and am capable using them.

Had an Interspiro positive pressue FFM, and a KM EXO26. The Interspiro was hell while on the surface and very cold in cold water. The EXO26 was OK when on the surface but extemely loud, also being colder than the interspiro.
The main problem is the very cold air that hasn't had a chance to warm up entering the mask above your eyes b4 entering the oral/nasal chamber and being breathed. 15+ LPM of air at below freezing temps flowing across my face wasn't acceptable to me.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom