Question FFM risks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it is mask fitting, I involuntarily scrunch my face when I concentrate- no matter what the activity. While diving, this breaks the seal for my regular mask. I can dive with a regular mask- and in fact carry one as well as a spare second stage set up with quick disconnect hose. My buddy also has a quick disconnect hose on his BC. However, when I dive with a regular mask, I am clearing it a lot- so much so that it is hard to really enjoy the dive. I’ve tried a few different styles and brands of masks, but haven’t found one that solves this for me.

My full face mask just makes diving much more enjoyable. I have a Neptune GDivers and spent time training in the pool, and practicing to make sure I can get it on and off, and switch air sources underwater.
Good reason. As a "normie", I didn’t know this is a problem for some people.

Never heard of that as an issue. I wonder if the dive op read an article about snorkeling masks and didn’t realize the difference. A FFM keeps clean air coming so you don’t have the same issues as the snorkeling ones. And running out of air is bad but no worse than it is with a standard regulator..

What's the benefit of a full face mask for Scuba in general-purpose diving (i.e. not in extreme cold or muck)?
I'm interested in trying one at some point mostly as a way to hold lights and cameras. Being able to narrate would also be nice.

I'm interested in trying one at some point mostly as a way to hold lights and cameras. Being able to narrate would also be nice.
Use a helmet? As in bolt stuff to a caving helmet. They’re easy to use and a stable platform.

Use a helmet? As in bolt stuff to a caving helmet. They’re easy to use and a stable platform.
That is probably where I will end up. Hard to mount a GoPro to a hood.

That is probably where I will end up. Hard to mount a GoPro to a hood.
Cheapo climbing helmet - literally the cheapest. MUST have holes in it for the bubbles to exit the helmet. Rip out the styrofoam and leave the webbing. Drill holes in the side for bungees for lights and nail your GoPro on the front/top/whatever.

Cut off the "chin clips" and replace with some bungee (what else :) )

Helmets need a small amount of practice for taking off underwater as your breathing regulator/CCR loop needs to be removed to get the chin strap out of the way. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

This shopkeeper talks like a man with a paper butthole. It's common for dive shops fabricate bad things about any product or brand they don't sell. It's also possible that he's confusing the scuba full face masks with snorkel full face masks, which some claim have safety problems. A third possibility is that they meant that full face snorkel masks are banned with this shop. Are you sure they meant scuba full face masks?

I would just avoid that shop in the future unless it's the only local shop available to you.

Also, a helmet and FFM combo would probably be very tough to manage if you ever have an OOA event or any other failure requiring you to switch to a different regulator. That helmet is going to be covering the top straps, and the chin strap/bungee is going to be either over or under the other strap.

If you're using one of the ocean reef masks, they make an extender kit that has space for a gopro mount. Personally I don't like videos made from a headmounted camera. Most people move their head around way too much to get good video - that was definitely the case for me. It's better than nothing, but if you want good video there's no substitute for using your hands.

Audio quality, voice change at depth, and bubble noise makes live narration more annoying than helpful. FFMs, or even commercial diving helmets, sound like you are talking into your cupped hands. FFMs are fine for taking audio notes for later reference. Just hold your dive computer up to the camera and say the bottom time into the recorder to match your audio notes to the video later.

Use that to create your narration script. Pick a digital voice recorder that has a mic input, can turn off voice activated recording, and fits in a small diameter tube. You can make your own housing, convert a camera or light housing, or adapt something like the Dryfob housing.

This post might give you ideas for a DIY housing:

Here is the quote from the website, it’s very clear:

Notice: As of 29 April 2022, No one is permitted to use any Full Face Mask while on tours with our company for SCUBA Diving OR Snorkeling. * Sorry, zero exceptions to this policy.

When I wrote and asked for the reasons they said there had been too many fatalities. So I decided to post here to see if anyone had data on fatalities associated with FFMs and scuba. I can avoid the dive shop, that’s not a problem.

I’m just trying to make sure there isn’t some hidden danger with FFMs that I should be aware of before my next dive trip.

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.

Here is the quote from the website, it’s very clear:

Notice: As of 29 April 2022, No one is permitted to use any Full Face Mask while on tours with our company for SCUBA Diving OR Snorkeling. * Sorry, zero exceptions to this policy.

When I wrote and asked for the reasons they said there had been too many fatalities. So I decided to post here to see if anyone had data on fatalities associated with FFMs and scuba. I can avoid the dive shop, that’s not a problem.

I’m just trying to make sure there isn’t some hidden danger with FFMs that I should be aware of before my next dive trip.

Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it.
It’s a valid question for sure. I still believe there must have been a misunderstanding by whoever made the rule. But, as im sure you did as well, i searched online and found no articles connecting scuba ffm to fatalities. Lots of stuff about the snorkeling versions popped up though.
It’s usually easiest to just avoid them, but i always wish i could tag dive ops in threads like this to clear the confusion :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom