FFM = dry eyes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for trouble shooting or critique to help with dry eyes while diving a full face mask.

I'm diving a AGA mask OC and wear contacts. There's normally enough else going on during the dive eye comfort takes a back seat to the mission. However, it became bothersome enough today with my contacts sticking I'm looking for advice. No dry eye issues with a regular mask.

Might be something obvious... inadequate seal, poor fit, excessive venting, or odd respiratory pattern prior to equalizing the mask? I'm getting too much dry air onto my eyes somehow.

Any techniques that may help?

Regards,
Cameron

So is the dryness bothering you during the dives, or is it just an issue of your contacts sticking afterwards? If the latter, I've often found that if you just irrigate your eyes well with contact solution, and shut your eyes for a couple of minutes, that usually solves the problem of the contacts sticking to your eyes.

So is the dryness bothering you during the dives, or is it just an issue of your contacts sticking afterwards? If the latter, I've often found that if you just irrigate your eyes well with contact solution, and shut your eyes for a couple of minutes, that usually solves the problem of the contacts sticking to your eyes.

It's both, the dryness during the dive is bothersome with a fair amount of burning ache (feels like a minor complaint). Regarding the sticking contacts, I'll start the irrigation routine post dive, thanks.

Cameron

The AGA is supposed to be tuned as a positive pressure full face mask, so you will always have air drafting in the mask.
AGA's pull air across the lens then into your mouth pocket, so your eyes are going to be constantly breezed with dry air.

The only possible solution without changing the mask would be playing with other contact lens brands, eyedrops, or contact solutions that will allow your eyes to keep better hydrated between blinks.
Another option is the take long blinks more frequently. Blink and hold, squeeze eyes shut, and roll eyes before opening. This could fold your contact lens though if you reach the dry point.

You could also detune the mask to not be positive pressure, but this has other issues that is the primary reason the OTS Guardian was invented to supplant the AGA on the recreational market.

Detuning it usually leads to harder cracking pressure that's not enjoyable. And the AGA seals are usually notorious for not fitting faces, so without the positive pressure you'll have water trickling into the mask. Tightening the straps to prevent trickling leads to short skirt lifespan as the metal buckles tend to bite and rip into the skirt if tightened more than needed.

If you have an ability to change the mask, OTS Guardian and Ocean Reef Neptune are tuned for demand and so you'll not get constant flush of air over your eyes.

If you wear sunglasses, it'll protect your eyes from the breeze.Plus, you will look cool.

The AGA is supposed to be tuned as a positive pressure full face mask, so you will always have air drafting in the mask.
AGA's pull air across the lens then into your mouth pocket, so your eyes are going to be constantly breezed with dry air.

The only possible solution without changing the mask would be playing with other contact lens brands, eyedrops, or contact solutions that will allow your eyes to keep better hydrated between blinks.
Another option is the take long blinks more frequently. Blink and hold, squeeze eyes shut, and roll eyes before opening. This could fold your contact lens though if you reach the dry point.

You could also detune the mask to not be positive pressure, but this has other issues that is the primary reason the OTS Guardian was invented to supplant the AGA on the recreational market.

Detuning it usually leads to harder cracking pressure that's not enjoyable. And the AGA seals are usually notorious for not fitting faces, so without the positive pressure you'll have water trickling into the mask. Tightening the straps to prevent trickling leads to short skirt lifespan as the metal buckles tend to bite and rip into the skirt if tightened more than needed.

If you have an ability to change the mask, OTS Guardian and Ocean Reef Neptune are tuned for demand and so you'll not get constant flush of air over your eyes.

Thank you for the background, contrasting options and the techniques I can apply. Appreciated.
Cameron

...Aviators in Divators, that deserves a soundtrack.

Cameron
Tried it on an intern before. They're kinda wobbly.
Lots of Top Gun references were made.

12022458_10153334656579261_6653190188010162168_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom