Question Drying FFM after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArchaeoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Simple question here. Does anyone hang theirs, or have a clever solution to during out their mask after rinsing post-dive? For now, I'm resting mine atop a chest freezer, but I'm worried my wife will want something out of it and put it on the floor before it's dry enough to put in the bag. I thought about hanging it from the harness, but perhaps there's a better way. Ocean Reef Neptune III if that helps.

I've found plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of using a FFM (often with non-users exaggerating the difficulty and danger), but precious little on simple care. The owner's manual says something like "rinse it and let it dry." I was hoping this was one of those situations where someone had a clever approach, not unlike the PVC-built drysuit dryer.

Thanks for any advice.

Simple question here. Does anyone hand theirs, or have a clever solution to during out their mask after rinsing post-dive? For now, I'm resting mine atop a chest freezer, but I'm worried my wife will want something out of it and put it on the floor before it's dry enough to put in the bag. I thought about hanging it from the harness, but perhaps there's a better way. Ocean Reef Neptune III if that helps.

I've found plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of using a FFM (often with non-users exaggerating the difficulty and danger), but precious little on simple care. The owner's manual says something like "rinse it and let it dry." I was hoping this was one of those situations where someone had a clever approach, not unlike the PVC-built drysuit dryer.

Thanks for any advice.
You selected "for sale" to highlight your title... don't you mean "question"?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113_163125.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113_163125.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 48
Simple question here. Does anyone hand theirs, or have a clever solution to during out their mask after rinsing post-dive?
I just soak them while pressurized for several hours, to overnight, dependent upon my laziness and the nastiness of the water.

Afterwards, I'll flip the masks, purge them a few times, hose and drain as much water as possible from the interiors, while everting the double skirts to ensure thorough drying, since those accumulate plenty of water.

After shaking them of any remaining moisture, I'll just hang my FFMs along with my suits, on an open rack, to dry with cross-ventilation, without any problems.

It's no big issue; don't overthink it . . .

Attachments

• 0BEE9DC8-1CA6-42B7-B578-F134BF9BC676.jpeg
    0BEE9DC8-1CA6-42B7-B578-F134BF9BC676.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 62
Nice, thanks...hanging by the harness should be fine, then?

And sorry about the "for sale," didn't notice it was the default.

You selected "for sale" to highlight your title... don't you mean "question"?

Oops, my bad as well. The title prefixes for classifieds should not have been included when I built this forum. Please let me know if you see any other discrepancies like this.

As for drying FFM, it depends a lot on how humid your area is. FFMs and lightweight commercial helmets can be real fungus farms. It is never a bad idea to store dive gear so air can freely circulate, preferably in a dark cool space that is free of chemical and combustion contaminants.

I rinse and either set it on the the rack or hang to dry. I have a Guardian and remove the regulator as well. I do try to shake as much water out as I can and find it tends to pool a bit in certain areas so I will try to get that out as much as possible.

I dive this Scubapro mask 2 or 3 times a week for the last 5 years in the Pacific Ocean. After diving I rinse it, soak it and hang it up like this on a BC hanger made by UK.
gear hang sml.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom