FFM at 02 stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many people use a FFM at their 02 stops, or during the whole dive? Seems like this would be a good precaution against an 02 seizure.

thanks

teknitroxdiver:
How many people use a FFM at their 02 stops, or during the whole dive? Seems like this would be a good precaution against an 02 seizure.

thanks

Full-face masks are not common in the scuba world, as you may know by now. They have their uses, and, like anything else, their pro's and con's.

On open circuit they are almost fog-proof, because the gas flowing from the second stage is vented up along the inner side of the face-plate (in most models). They are also just like looking out of a picture window. The view is incredible.

For voice comm, their use is necessary. Also, for colder water, they cover most of the face, which is more comfortable. In moderately contaminated water they protect the mouth as well as nose and eyes. During In-Water Recompression schemes, their use is essential.

On the other hand, they are bulkier, more expensive, and do require more training.

I have used the AGA extensively for PSD work, and like it a lot. I have now used the Widolf DR600 for some time, and like it even more!

Cheers!

What got me interested was that LP has AGA masks for around $500, and KMDs for a little more, so I figured that since that was about as much as a good reg, you could feasibly use one for deco, or the whole dive.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Actually that was at Divers Discount.

Poseidon: $749
Neptune: $600
AGA: $500
Ocean Tech DSI: $850

I have never heard of "Ocean Tech DSI" could you post a link if you get a chance?

I have read several places that Jarrod Jablonski (GUE, WKPP) uses one or has in the past for high PPO2 decompression.

I really enjoy using them, seems to be a more relaxing thing diving when you can breathe through your nose and not have to hold a reg in your mouth.

I've been using a FFM for about a year now. There great for cold & contaminated water. No more numb face, & it cuts down on the waters smell. You need to get full & proper training for the unit. Carring a spare mask is a must. You also need to be real comfortable switching between the two masks before you ever use it in open water. And then practice switching some more, so that it becomes second nature. I'm quite sure you'll get lots of opinions on here, I just had to through my .02 in.

I have a couple of the ocean reefs that I haven't been able to sell.

I rarely use them and always thought that I might some day use them for deco.

I wouldn't bother unless we were spending a good deal more time on O2 than we are because the FFM introduces other issues.

Oh yeah, that is the KMDSI EXO-BR mask, I love it but many I have talked to hate it.

I guess it depends on your face or perhaps background in diving.

Your very correct in that it is similar to a bandmask, truely for straight recreational diving or decompression (100% O2 mask) I would choose the AGA.

Here is some more information on some of the masks available:

http://www.adp.fsu.edu/HistoryOfDiving/index.html

Let me know if you have any questions OK?

Cool, thanks for the link. Thats an interesting site.

I guess what I was thinking of as a band mask is really things like the EXO-26, not the 'half-helmets'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom