FFM and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
First of all you can clear a FFM it takes practice and some models are easier than others. It is common practice to carry a back up mask when using these devices, You would also still have a redundant means or alternate airsource to donate to a needing diver or to use should a problem with the mask persist. Some FFM only requie you to pull the reg out of the mask to use it. My preferrece for a FFM is the Neptune over the Agua. DIR in their literature states that the adjustments of equipment to match the diving conditions is acceptable however and I quote

A good SCUBA equipment configuration should allow for the addition of items necessary to perform a specific dive without interfering with or changing the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration not only helps solve problems, it prevents them.

Now I can read into this to allow a FFM but some may not

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

I've been reflecting on what the FD divers told me, and it is possible I misinterpreted. Perhaps they were telling me it is their policy not to attempt to clear the mask, and to just go to a standard backup. The terms used were something like "we can't clear them" but the actual subject of the conversation was something else, and I didn't dwell on the statement.

That's the great thing about this board...quick correction of bad information.

When I dove with my GUE instructor on an RB80, he had a full OC setup (long hose and octo) as well, and he and my buddy practiced air-sharing, which involved him removing the loop, handing off the long hose, and going to his octo. It was a little bit slower than the reflex donation we practice until it requires no thought, but it was quite doable.

mntdiver:
Interesting choice in the Neptune over an AGA. Why is that? Certainly not quality or performance.

I've used both masks I can't say the quality of one was any better than the other. I did find that the Neptune was a bit more comfortable over a period of time and was a bit easier to clear. I have some friends who use the AGA and would go that direction ,just personal preference.

ok... So now I just ask, would this be good? I put a 4' or 5' hose on my octo and have it on some kind of tear away on my shoulder strap... the strap is Halcyon webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom