FFM and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No argument from me. Just commenting on the video we were shown.

Quote - "Kinda hard to donate the reg in your mouth, isn't it?"

That is way he is asking for advice on the proper setup for a diver utilizing a full face mask and still having the proper means for an alternate air-source for himself or a buddy.

I am interested in an intelligent answer to this question as well.

I don't think DIR prohibits the use of an appropriate tool.

If there is a valid need to use a FFM, such as a need to narrate a video, or a need for voice communication to the surface, then it seems to me that it wouldn't violate DIR principles any more than carrying a camera or video equipment or surveying tools.

I'll let the DIR guys answer the original poster's question of how to arrange octo and hoses. If nobody gives a real reply, my suggestion is to research the DIR configuration for backup regs when diving the Halycon RB80 rebreather.

cruisekingkris:
OK let say
1- toxic waters.
2- medical reason. Can't keep reg in mouth.

Or is there no way to do dive safe if you use a FFM?

One thing occurs to me with your second reason - I would say to take up another activity than diving.

I've never used a FFM, but I'm told by some fire department divers that if it floods, you can't clear it. You have to go to your backup mask and regular regulator.

So if you can't keep a reg in the mouth, you can't go to your backup.

No exactly a DIR answer, but in the DIR philosophy I believe if you don't have a backup you don't do the dive.

radinator:
One thing occurs to me with your second reason - I would say to take up another activity than diving.

I've never used a FFM, but I'm told by some fire department divers that if it floods, you can't clear it. You have to go to your backup mask and regular regulator.

So if you can't keep a reg in the mouth, you can't go to your backup.

No exactly a DIR answer, but in the DIR philosophy I believe if you don't have a backup you don't do the dive.

Experts, I'll bet. And wrong....

First of all you can clear a FFM it takes practice and some models are easier than others. It is common practice to carry a back up mask when using these devices, You would also still have a redundant means or alternate airsource to donate to a needing diver or to use should a problem with the mask persist. Some FFM only requie you to pull the reg out of the mask to use it. My preferrece for a FFM is the Neptune over the Agua. DIR in their literature states that the adjustments of equipment to match the diving conditions is acceptable however and I quote

A good SCUBA equipment configuration should allow for the addition of items necessary to perform a specific dive without interfering with or changing the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration not only helps solve problems, it prevents them.

Now I can read into this to allow a FFM but some may not

GDI:
First of all you can clear a FFM it takes practice and some models are easier than others. It is common practice to carry a back up mask when using these devices, You would also still have a redundant means or alternate airsource to donate to a needing diver or to use should a problem with the mask persist. Some FFM only requie you to pull the reg out of the mask to use it. My preferrece for a FFM is the Neptune over the Agua. DIR in their literature states that the adjustments of equipment to match the diving conditions is acceptable however and I quote

A good SCUBA equipment configuration should allow for the addition of items necessary to perform a specific dive without interfering with or changing the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration not only helps solve problems, it prevents them.

Now I can read into this to allow a FFM but some may not

Interesting choice in the Neptune over an AGA. Why is that? Certainly not quality or performance.

cruisekingkris:
OK let say
1- toxic waters.
2- medical reason. Can't keep reg in mouth.

Or is there no way to do dive safe if you use a FFM?

Your first reason is an excellent one for using a full face mask. It is why FFM are prefered for Public Safety Diving. Your second reason is a bit worrying though, because if you had to go to your backup you would be in trouble. I don't know your particular issue, but I would consider that a major safety issue.

As far as hose routing, it will depend upon your choice of mask. An AGA mask has the hose coming off to the left of the mask and to the regulator. This mask can be cleared underwater. I imagine that you could still have the bungied second with this configuration, but I would think that your backup would be the long hose to permit handing off to your buddy in an emergency. PSD's dive solo, so this is not an issue.

There are other FFM from scubapro and others, where the reg just pushes in to an opening for the mouth. I suppose it is feasible that with this mask you could still do the same DIR hose routing.

As far as safety, a FFM is the safest choice for diving in contaminated water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom