few pics from Burma trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Just got back from a live aboard trip to Burma. Had a lot of fun but basically decided thay my wide angle shot skill definitely need major improvement as I did not manage to get one good picture of a whale shark (my 5th one in the last 10 months :cheeky: ) nor pics of schooling devil rays. However the macro shots turned out quite well.
Camera gear: Oly C5050, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS 125 strobe, 2 stacked Inon UCL 165 macro lens, Inon UWL100 WAL with Inon Domeport.

crinoid-clingfish.jpg

mantis-shrimp.jpg

Love your pictures! Also have a question for you. Might be a dumb one, but I'll go for it anyway . What do you mean when you write 2 stacked Inon UCL 165 macro lens?

justleesa, I stacked 2 macro lenses one on top of each other (the macro lenses have thread in front as well as in the back so you can put one in front of the other). Basically with 2 macro lens,you can focus a bit closer and get a bit more magnification than with one macro lens. I used stacked macro lenses on both the crinoid clingfish and the mantis shrimp picture. The crinoid clingfish was about an inch long. The mantis shrimp was around 1.5 inches wide.

Thanks for the info. I guess I better get that strobe first though.....what good is close with no light?

Fantastic shots! I thought ar first the clungfish was a snakes head. Yeah...it's Monday! I'm gonna have to try that stacked macro thing...amazing eyes on the mantis shrimp.

Thanks!

ssra30:
Just got back from a live aboard trip to Burma. Had a lot of fun but basically decided thay my wide angle shot skill definitely need major improvement as I did not manage to get one good picture of a whale shark (my 5th one in the last 10 months :cheeky: ) nor pics of schooling devil rays. However the macro shots turned out quite well.
Camera gear: Oly C5050, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS 125 strobe, 2 stacked Inon UCL 165 macro lens, Inon UWL100 WAL with Inon Domeport.

great pics, a little while ago you were talking about going dslr, do you think you would get better picture quality with a dslr than those?

if not what is your reason for wishing to upgrade?

Clive, yes, I still am thinking about upgrading to DSLR but I am still waiting to see about all the new DSLRs that are just about to be released like the D70, S3 and wait to see about availability of housing but I think probably sometimes in the 2nd half of this year. Quality wise, I assume that with less digital noise, higher quality lenses etc, DSLR should be better but that is not the main reason that I want to upgrade.
I like to take a lot of macro pictures and I find the C5050 a bit more limiting, even with stacked macro lenses. C5050 is excellent as long as the subject is at least an inch or bigger but anything smaller than that, it is not quite adequate, I think. I think with 1:1 ratio that I can get with DSLR, it would be quite a bit nicer for that pgymy seahorse that I will find one of these days. Focusing becomes a big issue also as the LCD monitor on C5050 does not have enough resolution to really see the true depth of field of the picture. I have enough occasions when I thought that the focus was dead on, when looking through the LCD monitor but I was disappointed when I finally download the pictures onto my computer. Manual focus is incredibly difficult with C5050 in supermacro or macro with stacked macro lenses.
The new crops of 8MP point and shoot camera cost just about the same as D70 and Canon D300 (I know housing, ports and various lenses will make DSLR quite a bit more expensive) so I think DSLR route is looking more and more promising in the long run.
I don't know if I have DSLR in my hand, I would get better pictures than those that I posted on this thread but I would like to think that I should get more pictures of the same or better quality (may be!). Besides, anticipating playing with a new toy is always more fun than just playing with the same old toy over and over again :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom