Female Diver Conscious After Mishap on Dive Vessel "Conception"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Coast Guard Medically Evacuates Diver
Monday, March 09, 2009 - United States Coast Guard

10259-1.jpg
A rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Los Angeles evacuated a 53 year old woman from the Dive Vessel CONCEPTION near San Miguel Island to the Isthmus Hyperbaric Chamber on Catalina Island.
Shortly after noon today, Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles - Long Beach received a report of a 53 year old woman who ran out of air while scuba diving. She began "buddy breathing," a process where two divers share a single air supply, with her partner but was unconscious by the time she reached the surface.
She regained consciousness after the crew of the dive vessel brought her aboard and administrated oxygen.
A Coast Guard rescue helicopter from Air Station Los Angeles, located at Los Angeles International Airport, was dispatched and quickly arrived on scene. The helicopter lowered their rescue swimmer to the D/V CONCEPTION to evaluate the patient. The patient and rescue swimmer were then safely hoisted back to the helicopter and the patient was transferred to medical personnel at the Hyperbaric Chamber located at Isthmus on Catalina Island.
"The whole evolution went very smoothly." said LT David Middleton, pilot of the helicopter. "Hoisting patients from a moving vessel to a helicopter is a risky evolution. But the aircrew and vessel crew worked extremely well together making for a very safe hoist and transfer to the chamber."

Wow that is terrible news. Perhaps it is because I have only just started my second cup of coffee, but I am having a tough time coming up with reasons for he going unconcious on the ascent.....unless through buddy breathing, she was left too long in between breaths? Perhaps panicked breathing (not expelling all the CO2)....what else could have caused this?

The title of this thread really kind of took me in the wrong direction.

same here Steve50. not a funny subject but the title sure is. Perhaps the OP could edit.

same here Steve50. not a funny subject but the title sure is. Perhaps the OP could edit.

I thought the title and subsequent article would possibly make a forum reader smile. :rofl3: In this day and age, there is nothing terribly wrong with that!

To those who were guessing the article might be about another subject, please remember this is a family oriented forum. Also, not to make light of the accident, I join many in hoping the diver in question is doing well and commend the Coast Guard and the crew aboard CONCEPTION for doing a good job.

G,day to all.

Blades

I hope the unconsciousness was not the result of a gas embolism on ascent. Holding a good thought for the diver.

As a west coast diver I'm familiar with that vessel, so the post was exactly what I feared.

But you guys are right, OP (or a Mod) should edit to avoid misunderstandings.

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom