Female diver buying 1st set help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alecto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on the board but not for reading. I've spent countless hours scrolling through the boards trying to put together my first set.. I'm advanced open water certified but only have about 12 logged dives under my belt. It has been 2 years since my certification. I normally dive So. Cal but will do traveling to tropics and Washington State so need cold water regs. I will eventually dive with Nitrox

I have the basics (mask, snorkel, fins) and was just gifted a new AL Soul i3 bcd. Wetsuit is a new 2011 or 2012 SP nova scotia that I want to sell b/c the stupid thing doesnt fit me (takes 20 minutes to get out of). That leaves me with needing reg, gauges and i decided i want a wrist computer.

My LDS suggested the SP mk 17/c300 for a reg. I liked that the 1st stage is balanced and environmentally sealed but the 2nd is not. Does that matter for most purposes? Does that make it harder to clean or care for? Other reg choices I should look at?

For gauges, a basic depth and pressure gauge. It sounds like these are all the same so why do some brands cost alot more than others? I need a rugged one b/c I have horrible luck with equipment (a wetsuit stitching started to come apart after my pool dives which SP replaced with the novascotia). A dive friend recommended Suunto gauges.

Finally, computer which has given me the most grief. It definitely needs nitrox. I've decided to not worry about AI and spend the money on a strobe for my underwater camera. Strobe might mess with the AI anyways I hear. And I want to wear it on my wrist. I need to keep this under $500, so please no recommendation for Shearwater or Cobalts. I have been looking at the Zoop, Vyper and Aeries Elite T3/ Hollis DG03. I read the last 2 are the same computer. So for buying, what is the concern between one over the other besides price? If discontinued, do they not have support anymore? I've seen prices on all of these for $250 except the vyper. I would normally jump at the latter 2 b/c they have more features for the same cost but i'm concerned about them being discontinued and how that would effect things.

Altogether I dont think I want to spend more than $1000 on these 3 things. Please help point me in a direction.

If the complaint with the wetsuit is getting it off I hear a technique problem. It should be a snap to roll it off so it ends inside out. it you are trying to tug it off the suit and you will both be stressed. If donning is OK but removing it with tugging is chore I suspect an excellent fit. More here.

Does the Al Soul 13 fit you? Fit is everything with a BCD. If so then congratulations. If not be thinking about options.

The fregulator sounds fine but others more SP savvy may differ. Definitely stay with a sealed 1st stage.

I agree with skiping integration. All the integration you need is between your eays, save you money and keep it somple.

What about a compass?

Have you established a preference for console or wrist instruments? I am sort of a black sheep around here but console works well for me. If you have the computer many consider the depth gauge expendable.

Put the camera on the back burner for a while. Concentrate attention and $$ on safety and excellence for a while.

Pete

You can save a lot of money by buying used...Just get your stuff inspected/serviced.

Wearing a dive skin should helps with donning and doffing a wetsuit. You can find them online for less than $50.

What is the price on the regs? Remember besides the first and second stage you need an octo. I do not like the C-series Scubapro, I would look at the Subgear SG-1000. It is a re-branded Scubapro MK17/S600 which is a better reg. You should be able to get it in the $400 range. I would add another $100 for the octo.

For the computer why not go with an Aladin 2D or the Subgear equivalent?

The more you stick with one brand the more leverage you will have with the dealer.

With the wetsuit, it is actually a semi dry. I'll have to try the inside out putting on technique to see if that helps taking off later. My difficulties with it are getting my head though the neck hole and then getting it out. The zipper is across the back shoulders. The neck seal is a good 7 inches long and is a pain to get out of. Any technique tips for semi drys neck holes? I already tried using a dive skin but didnt help with the neck hole.

The Soul i3 is a good fit on me. I tried it on with a large tank and it was very comfortable.

I always forget compass. Thinking about the retractable one or maybe a wrist one as well.

Im thinking wrist computer because I already own a canon s110 and uw housing for it. So i'd prefer to free up my hands for that and just clip off the gauges. I'm pretty good with air consumption so dont' check my pressure gauge as much as my depth. Figure it will be easier to turn my wrist for a glance. I dove with a buddy with a computer and both times I had about 1300 psi left when the computer told us it was time to start our ascent.

The mk17/c300 was about 450 and would include the octo, that's why I forgot to mention it. I'll have to check if my lsd sells subgear if it is the same as scubapro. That makes sense about sticking with a brand

Buying 2nd hand makes me nervous. But I guess if it was a good enough price after getting serviced i could look into that.

You can save a lot of money by buying used...Just get your stuff inspected/serviced.

You can also loose a lose alot of money buying used. Have a seasoned diver or shop evaluate the gear pre purchase. Be sure you include cost to test/service and add something for your trouble and risk. If there's any meat left then you have a worthwhile deal.

I will say that as a lady diver you can have your pick of pink and othewrwise female modeled gear on Craigslist eBay etc.

Pete

I have a basic Subgear XP10 computer: cheap, reliable and knows everything a recreational diver needs (air, nitrox, user replaceable+cheap battery, free/cheap PC connection).For SPG I bought a Mares mission 3 - I want a backup depth gauge if the computer fails.The mk17 is a great 1st stage, maybe the G250V balanced adjustable would be a better match - or if you like the vintage style, a nice & shiny balanced-upgraded R109. Nice, sercived 109-s sell less than 100$ on ebay.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom