"Felt" bikes...anybody know anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
This is what I meant by a "womans" frame:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/160168281.html

Too much flex in the frame.

BTW, most gals I know don't ride such a frame, but a properly fitted man's frame.
In fact, logically men are more at risk for serious pain on a man's frame than gals are IMO :D

Oh, if that's what you meant by a women's frame, then I'm not too worried. I've been mostly looking at bikes like this:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/medium/7300e_charcoalblack.jpg

I'm finding it hard though... a bike like this means less money for diving, since funds are tight. :p

What kind of bike do you want? I didn't read all the threads but those that did seemed to be pointing to a road bike?

If you want a bike better suited for speed and fitness then I suggest a road bike (isn't necessary but better suited for the road). If you want a casual rider to get some occasional exercise then consider a hybrid. Those are happy on the road or basic trails. The upright position is more comfortable to most people as well.

Pricewise, you are limited if you are in Hawaii compared to the mainland. But, I was impressed with the quality, features and prices of the Lemond road bikes.

A decent entry road bike like the Lemond Reno is a good start. I got mine for under $800.

Felt bikes are sweet too. I'm considering one if/when I upgrade. I plan to do a duathlon or two on my Lemond and decide after. Specialized is another brand I am considering. But, those bikes will run $2,000+ for a competitive traithlon bike. Stick with Trek, Lemond, or another brand large enough to offer budget versions.

Anyway, the hybrid bikes can be had for much cheaper if you don't want/need a road bike. I think I paid low $300's for our Gary Fisher Zebrano's. Again, a nice balance of price and quality. I bought these to ride comfortable and get into shape. I later migrated to a road bike.

Oddly, I am more comfortable on the road bike now.

I highly recommend a basic bike fitting at a local shop before you buy. Someone else stated the "try before you buy" message. That is a must do.

Good luck.

okay, so I am going to re-read this whole thread! I just came from a bike shop I liked (just a feeling). He has Lemond and showed me this beautiful one they "found" on a truck somewhere..."Toumalet" that I could get a great price on...$800. I love it but I don't know anything much...going back tomorrow to ride it. He says it is borderline too big for me, so my other choice is the Reno or Etape (Lemond also). He has a Fuji some Canadian bike he picked up there because he liked it....also good fit for me, according to him.

But THEN he pulls out this bike from the back that some guy who lives in the neighborhood bought and never used. It is the perfect size for me, Vitus Al, Italian thing that is 105/ultegra equipped. He says he could customize it for me, new saddle, bars, pedals and o'haul. It looks very cool, I might add. 500 dollars. So...I will go try them tomorrow. If I get one I can ride the Santa Monica bike path along the beach, while daughter recoups.
I know, I should buy local in Hawaii but buying stuff in Hawaii kinda sucks to tell you the truth. There are no deals and no customer service much that I have found....I love Hawaii but compared to Southern California the shopping cannot hold a candle.

Any advice from cyclists out there regarding the used Vitus Al ? He says he can customize it for me and will call the guy and "grind" him tonight on the price. The tires still have the little rubber string things on them, so it is barely used....

I just want a road bike and the place I ride will be pretty flat.

Does it have a carbon fibre fork? AL bikes are light, strong and stiff. This all translates into a stiff ride as well. If it has a carbon fork you'll be fine. If it has an aluminum fork be prepared for a rough ride.

Also, how old is the bike? Shimano 105 and Ultegra are very good. I have Ultegra on my road bike and it's excellent. Eight or nine speed? If it's new, or newer, with 9 speed STI shifting and a carbon fork it could be a good deal if it fits.

Lemond makes nice bikes as well. They're owned by Trek. Borderline too big sounds too big to me though depending on where it's too big.

Go for a ride and see which feels best. Remember, many of the components can be changed to make it fit better. The stem especially if you feel to cramped or to stretched out on the bike. And the seat as well.

Good luck.

oh, thanks. The others had carbon forks...I wonder if he could add that. I will find out tomorrow! The bike is two years old. It has more gears than the Toumalet I think. 23?
three something?

thanks...

I have to get everything else to so I can ride while I am here. The Santa Monica bike path will be good because I won't get hit by a car!

I just bought a Gary Fisher Marlin. It's a hard-tail(no back suspension) mountain bike although I ride it on the street. We do have some trails in the mountains near my house that I occasionally hit so I wanted a mountain bike. It has front suspension that you can lock out if you want to go faster on the street. $700 new with all the toys.

They also sell a hybrid, the Kaitai. The woman at the store I go to couldn't say enough good things about it. I actually ordered one, but they couldn't get my frame size from Fisher for about a month and I couldn't wait. Her husband had his Felt road bike there one day, all trick carbon fiber, the seat was $350 by itself. $7K for the bike. Seems a little excessive for what you want. Plus I'd be afraid to lock it and leave it.

One consideration if you want a men's bike, some of the Fisher's (and other makes) drop the rear tube mount so it's easier to get over it.

One thing I noticed is that their street bikes seem to have lesser quality components, at least in the Fisher line as they're built to a sub$600 price point. When I mentioned this, it was suggested that I buy the bike level I wanted in a mountain bike or hybrid and then retrofit street tires to it.

Might want to try this: http://www.fisherbikes.com/matchmaker/ it's their online selection program which might help you decide what you need.

I've also heard really good things about Lemond bikes.

Here is the bike I bought. Just rode it in Hawaii for the first time. Hope the tires are not to skinny for our roades! It felt great but I am having a hard time trusting these tiny tires in traffic, Some of the cinders here and there in the bike lanes make me worried the tire could blow....

Am just feeling my way through the gears.

DSC07678.jpg

catherine96821:
Here is the bike I bought. Just rode it in Hawaii for the first time. Hope the tires are not to skinny for our roades! It felt great but I am having a hard time trusting these tiny tires in traffic, Some of the cinders here and there in the bike lanes make me worried the tire could blow....

Am just feeling my way through the gears.

DSC07678.jpg

Nice blue!

Thoughts:
[1] Reflectors. Even during the day they can help.
[2] Tire savers. Attach to your brakes, keeps glass from cutting your tires and flats. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pelissi...ryZ56197QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[3] Helmet.

Hey, moon, thanks.. What do the tire savers actually do?

So, you are thinking I extra need a helmet on THIS bike? Yes, I have a helmet.

Back
Top Bottom