Suggestion Feedback on keeping ScubaBoard members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gypsyjim

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is directed at all members, new and old. It is actually a multiple part question, and is designed to get us all thinking about what ScubaBoard is, or could be for someone just discovering us today or tomorrow.

Two weeks ago on Utila Colleen and I were part of 4 couples with no previous contact who were diving on the same boat for a week, so we had lots of time to chat. It turned out that 5 (6 including myself) of the 9 divers including the DM, were all members of ScubaBoard at one time or another, but I was the only actively participating SM user.

A subsequent conversation with a friend who is also a moderator, has had me thinking about this, so here are my questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What attracted you to ScubaBoard in the first place?

2) Are you satisfied that the board addresses your needs adequately? And if not what would you change, if you could to make it do so

3) Why do you think other folks who have joined, have not stayed around?

4) Do you have ideas on what the board either did not provide well, or what might have done to scare them away, without becoming participating members?

5) Do you have ideas or suggestions of new ways to both attract and keep new members, new divers involved, and satisfied with this forum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

I will start by adding my own 2 cents.

I discovered SB while researching a dive trip back in '05, and was not a terribly active member for some time. I did though, find the info I was seeking.

I did soon after that did make some friends on the board, as both DeputyDan and Herman offered advice and invited my family to join their group for a trip to Bonaire.

I also later asked for underwater photography advice, and got a lot of help from such diverse members as ScubaSteve and DandyDon, who were more than willing to help a struggling novice.

I had a few conflicts in some of the threads along the way, especially early on, with some of the more vocal know it alls, but while that slowed me down a bit and kept me quiet, it did not scare me off. I just spent more time lurking till I became more comfortable standing up for my beliefs, and not afraid of the loud mouths. It just took me time to realize by lurking that they were a small minority, and not particularly as well respected universally as they might have thought, which made me feel less the outsider.

(Note) I think a lot of that 'know it all' attitude seems to have disappeared from the boards, or at least become far less of an issue. I heard a lot of feedback from non member divers between '95 and about 2000 that this "slamming of 'stupid questions' " was a big turn off, but I do not sense this same complaint from my more recent contactsd, when discussing SB. Now it seems more like SB is not supplying what divers are seeking, and they are just moving on to other sources of info.

I know many folks have moved on to FB, but while I enjoy FB a lot myself, I have never seen it as having the potential to reach as many divers, or to serve as a useful search base for dive related questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize you are kidding and I am probably going off topic opening myself up to some heavy-handed moderation, but moderating does not deny people their first amendment rights. The Bill of Rights is not absolute.

If you want to post a sign in my yard, you need my permission and without it, I will remove the sign (i.e. moderate). Keep putting up the sign, and I will file for a restraining order (i.e. banned). Ultimately, Scubaboard is Pete's yard.
... I suspect your sarcasm monitor is in need of calibration ... :wink: ... I was teasing Pete, using a tired old complaint that comes up in this forum with some regularity ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob was being mildly sarcastic. It's a Bob thing. I am not sure why you feel you face "some heavy-handed moderation" for simply disagreeing with him even though you really aren't.

I understand Bob, and was joking about the moderation :)

---------- Post added March 19th, 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

... I suspect your sarcasm monitor is in need of calibration ... :wink: ... I was teasing Pete, using a tired old complaint that comes up in this forum with some regularity ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ya, I think I should have been more clear about, or put more emphasis on the "I realize you are kidding" part :)

My suggestion is a 12 step program for SB addicts. My theory is those of us who cannot get enough diving in due to location, money or time try to make up for it with post.

The knowledge available here is mind-bending. Ask you you shall receive, and receive and receive some more.

If you are thin-skinned stay out of the pub and don't participate in threads about DIR or pony bottles. Other than that its one of the better run sites IMO.

My only suggestion is threads should close automatically after a period of time, say 90 days. Sometimes we get hit with zombie threads.

I find this kind of funny and I can probably name the individuals who sent this to you. :D

I could be shocked if you could not name them, although I probably don't know anywhere near as many of those who would make your list as you might think.

I may participate in some of the :gans: , and even the differences of opinion that have led to more than one or two of the "vacations", both minor and major,

but I try to avoid the full blown :dramaqueen: versions.

I could be shocked if you could not name them, although I probably don't know anywhere near as many of those who would make your list as you might think.
There would be at most 6 who would take the time to read ScubaBoard and then contact you in that regard. After 14 years of this, I think that's not a bad thing. Some people think I'm too patient. Others think I'm not patient enough. A few think I'm an idiot or that I don't care. I remember a line from Devil's Advocate: "Never let 'em see you coming!"

You know, I haven't made many smilies, but :gans: is my favorite of all of them.

Oh ya, they got a catalog and everything where you can redeem your infraction points for fabulous prizes.

I'm banking mine for a month long live aboard to the GBR. Probably getting pretty close by now.

Oh ya, they got a catalog and everything where you can redeem your infraction points for fabulous prizes.

... an all expenses paid trip to Dante's Fifth Circle of Hell ... or The Pub ...

[video=youtube;sen8Tn8CBA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sen8Tn8CBA4[/video]

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom