February Vacation Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So the friendly folk here have steered me right twice; figured I'll try again. I am planning a family vacation for presidents week ( I know timing is not great but its the only time that works). I'm looking for a family friendly destination that can be potentially flown nonstop from NYC, and is warm in February. Diving will not be a primary activity (I'll be the only diver) but I'd like to be able to sqeeze in a few dives while everyone else is still sleeping, much like I did in Mexico. I have about 20-24 dives under my belt so am still a novice (Key Largo and Puerto Aventura, Mexico). I am open to resorts, as this will give the kids some activities to do with the grandparents while wife and I get our own time. Options I've been considering are Costa Rica (never been and high on our list but have been told the water is cold in February), Puerto Rico (lots of interesting things to do but getting alot of concerns regarding crime), Hawaii (damn long flight with young children) and Panama. So what do you recommend? TIA.

Hi Jejton,

Beaches Turks and Caicos would suite you and the family. Water is a bit chilly, but it is mid winter. Will be mid 70's, 3mm wetsuit is enough. I worked there as an instructor way back. It is one of the best family resorts in the Caribbean if your budget allows.

Let me know if you would like to book it, I will make sure you are well taken care of. :)

Have you thought about something in the ABCs?

Take a look at Roatan & the Bay Islands. I'm not sure about direct flights from NY, there may be charters in Feb as that is peak season, but there are easy connections on Delta through Atlanta, American through Miami & Dallas, & United through Houston. Lots to do here for your family, some great family friendly resorts like Anthony's Key or Infinity Bay, and terrific diving right at your doorstep, you can pop out for a dive and be back in about 90 minutes, a lot of the sites are within 10 min of the dive shops by boat, they might not even notice you're gone. The water is nice & warm in Feb, around 80 degrees.

There is lots of info about Roatan in the various threads under the Bay Islands sub-forum in the Central America forum. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about Roatan, the Bay Islands, the various hotels & resorts, dive ops, shore activities, etc. Your family will have a lot of fun here, for example we have done several private day charters with sailing & snorkeling for families with 3 generations & they all had a great time. We can even include diving just for you along with snorkeling and mangrove tours for everyone, all in one day trip. Our email is zeppelinsail@gmail.com if you would like to contact us directly. Good luck with your search.

If you haven't been there, may I suggest Cozumel? I go primarily for the diving - in my opinion, some of the very best diving in the Caribbean, and lots of dives that are appropriate for beginner divers. But Cozumel has lots to offer. First, because it is an island, it is very, very safe -- violent crime is much lower here than in most American cities. Second, it is very budget friendly. You can stay, eat and dive very affordably. Even the higher end resorts are better bargains on Cozumel than most other Caribbean destinations. And if you don't go All-Inclusive (I never go All-Inclusive, though I understand that dealing with small kids can change the equation there), there are dozens of very good restaurants, everything from little locally owned loncherias and taquerias to fine dining restaurants where you can get great meals for $40 a person or less. And you can do two-tank morning dives and still be back by 1:00 or 1:30 to spend the afternoon with the family. For Family activities, there is Chankanaab Park, with snorkeling, dolphin encounter (though I personally disapprove of keeping captive dolphins), and other attractions, Punta Sur Park, where you can take a boat ride through the mangrove swamp and watch the crocodiles, the San Gervasio Ruins, visit the chocolate factory, explore the wild East side in a rented Jeep, or wander the Plaza on a Sunday evening. Take a day off, catch the early ferry to Playa Del Carmen, rent a car and go to Tulum to see the Ruins or Xcaret for a full day. Lots of family entertainment and good diving.

I suggest Grand Cayman. I am sure there are direct flights from NY. Seven Mile Beach is great for the family and the diving is very good. There are numerous resorts or you can rent a condo. Restaurants are plentiful and varied to suit the adults and kids palettes. as for diving, I use Indigo Divers when I venture to GC.

The best scuba spot in the Philippines is Palawan! :wink: Going fishing is a great way to get outside and explore new areas or re-visit old, favorite spots. If you enjoy eating fish, you are going to love the experience. It isn’t necessary to spend a lot of money on gear, clothing or travel expenses to incorporate this fun activity into your routine, so you can forget about cash loans. It can be a fantastic family activity or an opportunity to get away from everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom