Features for the next generation CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmole once bubbled...
Emergency alarms (programmable)

Besides the generic "look at your computer alarm." I assume an additional alarm for too deep.

madmole once bubbled...
Customisable parameters on the computers covering injection patterns etc

Mmmm, would that be a good thing? Could you provide a specific example of an existing pattern you would change?

On Hammerhead we already have 2 injection patterns and user settable tolerances for injection parameters. Whe you now what you are doing these are usefull

Having to shut a mouthpiece off, drop it, find your bailout and insert it (even turn it on in some cases) is too slow.

There are also lots of folks who have had hypercapnia attacks who are breathing sooo rapidly they couldn't take the mouthpiece out even though their life depended on it. An OC/DSV makes life far safer, you just turn a knob, end of problem. Your buddy can now also bail you out quickly and easily if you have a problem

I personally believe an OC/DSV is one of the biggest safety features you can fit

Titanium and Oxygen do not mix, they go bang spontaneaously!!!!

madmole once bubbled...

Titanium and Oxygen do not mix, they go bang spontaneaously!!!!

As madmole said titanium and oxygen are ot a gggood mix thats why I said "Boooom"

On my Titanium unit only my chasis is titanium anything that comes in contact with breathing gas is oxygen compatiblem.. the titanium chasis is very light, offers me lots of mounting oprions and is strong as hell.. I can even drop it by another 4 Kg by just changing my bottom bracket (believe it or nt this is MOST of the weight of the chasis).

Actually most of the severse hypercapnias have been within 10 mins of athe start of a dive and have been bypasses or outbreathing the scrubber cos its not warmed up yet

The one repeated theme on all of these reports has been the inability of the affected diver to bail out. They knew they had to, but they COULD NOT remove their mouthpiece. This has been consistantly reported. Fortunately most have managed to dil flush or had a reg swap forced on them by a buddy and hence have survived. but the reports clearly show that a bail out that invoves removing a mouthpiece is NOT viable.

Anyone who uses their scrubber over the manufacturers tested limits deserves what they get

deleted

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
KentCe, if you're thinking of a huge brick in front of your face you're probably thinking of the Halcyon ... :(

I'm pretty sure Madmole, DSDave and I are thinking Bob Howell's OC/DSV. He integrates a Dacor Viper, one of the smallest DVs, on a swivel to the DSV. It doesn't get better and smaller than that, and all you need to switch is a quarter turn. Better than using an integrated inflator DV and trying to manage bouyancy while breathing under stress. :D That aside, most DSVs are rather hard to open and close single-handed.

Unfortunately, Bobs products are no longer an option check out his web site, the parts are no longer listed..

madmole once bubbled...
Actually most of the severse hypercapnias have been within 10 mins of athe start of a dive and have been bypasses or outbreathing the scrubber cos its not warmed up yet

I've never heard of this issue (a within spec fill with proper pre-dive check failed due to the cold). Sure didn't talk about it in SCR (Dolphin) class. But the water up here stays above 41F.

I understand that bad packing or pushing the limits can cause a problem. Maybe some one using wrong size grain?

The only hypercapnia case I've heard about (locally) was no sofnolime in the unit (and the diver had the normal bail-out reg). Interesting, the diver thought it was a heart attack and didn't realize it could be a CO2 issue (thought he had a new fill) and the bail-out was greatly delayed (not even sure bail-out was even used).

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I like to fully understand the why of any equipment choice. More for me to think about...

KentCe once bubbled...

I've never heard of this issue (a within spec fill with proper pre-dive check failed due to the cold). Sure didn't talk about it in SCR (Dolphin) class. But the water up here stays above 41F.

I understand that bad packing or pushing the limits can cause a problem. Maybe some one using wrong size grain?

The only hypercapnia case I've heard about (locally) was no sofnolime in the unit (and the diver had the normal bail-out reg). Interesting, the diver thought it was a heart attack and didn't realize it could be a CO2 issue (thought he had a new fill) and the bail-out was greatly delayed (not even sure bail-out was even used).

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but I like to fully understand the why of any equipment choice. More for me to think about...

scrubber efficiency depends on the temperature and the moisture content. the scrubber will not work with water present.. a 5 minute prebreathe should be the minimum.. this will introduce moisture and when the scrubber is at its lowerst performance you are on the surface.. scrs have a bit more leway especially at high flow rates since co2 is beig discharged with the extra gas..

Back
Top Bottom