Fear of deep water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations CeeTee! It sounds like you are on your way! I was somewhat apprehensive about water depth myself. I had a good instructor who simply and very patiently developed my confidence and skills till I was comfortable. Dive with in your limits and comfort level. If you are not confident in your skills, train more till you are.
Diving is so awesome don't be surprised if you find yourself totally obsessed. It can change the way you think and what once was a little unnerving becomes no big deal!
I visited Gilboa quarry this week end and enjoyed training and diving with friends and as always met new people who enjoy to dive. I have to say I have met some really great people since starting to dive. Divers are a fun group of people to hang with!
Enjoy your training and have fun, the best is yet to come! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I went down to 15' today!!!

Thanks to the help of a great instructor who built up my confidence bit by bit until I was ready to sink to the bottom of the pool.

You are "there" ... you have the confidence level you need in yourself and your instruction to be totally successful as a diver ... congratulations!!!!!!!

Once you get comfortable with being at depth practice your drills like clearing your mask and losing your regulator at depth until you aren't freaked out about removing and replacing those items.

I am a very new at diving. I've been always very comfortable with water so I was very surprised that during my diving lesson I started feeling panicky. It was a feeling of claustrophobia followed by fear that I would not be able to breathe. It happened in the pool a couple of times. My instructor was very, very patient and suggested I try discovery dive where another diver held onto me throughout the dive. First descent was not great and I signaled to go up. Still I decided to give it another try and as we went deeper I relaxed and that was the end of my fears. 10 dives later I am happy to say I am totally comfortable going as deep as my certification allows. I think the patience and sensitivity of my instructor was the key.
It seems like you are doing fine. Good luck and enjoy. Diving is so much fun.

I think I am afraid of Low Viz more than deep water, b/c Low Viz can give you the sensation of bottomlessness and loss of orientation. I like to see where I am headed to even if it opens up 50'+ ahead of me.

Basically just jump in and it will be a piece of cake. It's all in your mind..

Scuba Guru

I'm new to Scuba and I start my classes this weekend. I have lots of experience snorkeling but I have always had a fear of swimming into deep water (over 10 feet). How do I get over this.

Back
Top Bottom