Fdog Review: the AquaCat Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow ! Thanks for the fantastic report. I was trying to go with our dive shop crew this summer, but could not get the leave from work for that week. I thought I would try another week, going by myself without the local group. Booked a trip on June 8th. I was still a little hesitant about not going with someone who had done the AC before.....until I saw your report. Now I can't wait to go. It is amazing that even after such a report, that I can still come up with a question. I did get confused about the dive schedule. Is it four dives a day plus a night dive each day, or do they just do one random night dive during the week? Thanks again for the report and I sure hope Aquacat is going to thank you appropriately for all the business you are sending them.

Thank you both for the good words! And have fun on the boat!

There's a night dive every night except Friday (the vessel is in port that night). So, every day you can do 4 dives in daylight plus one at night. This is fairly typical for most liveaboards. Cheers!

All the best, James

James,

Great report and very accurate. Four of us were able to enjoy the AquaCat last week (June 29 to July 6th, 2013) and we found everything as you described. The crew was great, very helpful, especially to my wife who has a bad back; they carried her gear to the lower landing so she could do a sitting entry, which was very, very helpful for us.

The winds were blowing pretty hard and Captain Ron was still able to find good dive spots that kept us away from the bigger swells. Our crossing over to Eleuthera from the Exumas to get away from some of the winds was "interesting" but Capt. Ron was clear in his description before we got started. He is the consummate professional and it was a pleasure to be able to spend some time with him during the trip.

The food was outstanding with Chef Kirk providing variety and more than enough food for all to enjoy. Lunch was closer to being a dinner and dinner was always great. For those who have special dietary needs Chef Kirk always provided a unique and plentiful dish. I think each meal had at least 3 entrees and deserts were excellent. A word of caution, his cookies are addictive and seem to pop up everywhere you turn around.

The dive masters were all good and let you do your own thing with the obvious exception of the drift dives were we all entered at the same time and followed them until the pick up.

The entire staff is well trained, pleasant and understands that they are there to help and make sure you have the full positive AquaCat experience. Each deserves a paragraph of praise. The entire vessel and rooms were very clean and comfortable with a significant amount of in-room storage.

I have attached a couple bathroom pictures that you mentioned you did not have to complete the review.

IMG_1213.jpgIMG_1214.jpg

PS – the video which is sold at the end of the trip, which I normally ignore, was well worth getting as it was well done and humorous.

Adding another big thank you for a great trip report I just decided to read. I suffered from the same "prejudice" about the Bahamas and never considered a lob there. You have made me re-think. After "overloading" with an lob in the Maldives and Soccoro within 3 months, we think our family diving budget needs a bit of a reprieve. Next to the Philippines, which is actually quite reasonable, but then I'm going to take my LDS crew to talk to Aqua-Cat at DEMA...hope they have a booth there.
Thanks again for hitting me over the head with the reality of some great experiences much closer to home.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom