Favorite springs and not so favorite springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
I've seen the insider section here, but was wondering if anyone had some input on their favorite freshwater diving springs in FLA. Also, it would be good to know about some "not so favorite" springs you found disappointing?

Thanks,

Dan T

Good: Ginnie, Peacock (if cavern+ cert)
Not-so-bad: Blue Spring (Orange City), Manatee Springs (if cavern+ cert - not much else there otherwise), Paradise Springs, Devils Den
Ugly: Blue Grotto (nothing better than a training pool, owner stinks too)

There are others, but i havent been to them yet and most are cavern/cave cert types anyway at least in central north FL.

Good thread, although opinions will probably vary...

Good: Cypress, Morrison(when river levels are down), Ginnie, Devils Den

Not-So-Bad: Vortex(crowded, very artificial, but never tannic), Morrison(when river levels are slightly high)

Bad: Becton(floods easy, not much in the basin, no cavern/cave), Blue Grotto(agreeing with simbrooks on his comments - it also gets silted easily/often because it is used as a training pool primarily)

rainbow river : drift dive , lots fish and easy diving. go during the week, weekends there is a lot of training dives and they silt up the viz.

Alexander is one of my favorites for OW diving, Paradise I like best for non-certified cavern diving, for the best mix of family fun/OW diving/non-certified cavern diving/ceritified overhead diving I would say Ginnie.

I would like to try Blue Grotto when there is no one else there, just to see how good of a dive it could actually be.

fookisan:
I've seen the insider section here, but was wondering if anyone had some input on their favorite freshwater diving springs in FLA. Also, it would be good to know about some "not so favorite" springs you found disappointing?

Thanks,

Dan T
My opinion has always been that Ginnie is the best overall springs, for its conditions, amenities, different levels of diving, location, and freedom from govt.

fookisan:

Thanks,

Dan T

I have to disagree with the folks putting Blue Grotto down... I like the place, especially if you're looking for simple cavern-type dives. Also check out Devil's Den across Alt 27.

You should also think about diving / snorkelling the Crystal River if you'll be visiting in Manatee season.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom