Favorite LDS in Wreck Valley?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just curious to know your favorite LDS in the area and why. Maybe tell a bit about it, who you deal why, why, do they have a webpage? Please do not post anything negative about an LDS though. Keep that to PMs.

My favorite is The Salty Dog Dive Center in the Wilmington, De (I know it is out of the valley, but is darn close). I deal with a woman by the name of Una, she is the owner and very nice. Their webpage is :
http://www.saltydogdivecenter.com/

Ben

My overall favorite out here on eastern LI is Hampton Dive. I like them for several reasons.

1- Their pricing is good compared to other local stores.

2- They have a good selection of gear.

3- Extremely knowledgeable staff. You don't have 16 year olds servicing your gear either. Their service guy has I think over 30 years experience working on dive gear.

4- They go above and beyond the minimum with regards to training, and have a great facility. The owner leased a small local quarry, and the pool is huge and heated.

5- The little extras. They have a great website www.hamptondive.com It provides updated local tides for all the dive sites, and they'll give you printouts if you don't have a computer. The staff will always BS with you, and they always throw in little freebies like defog when you buy something.

Northeast Scuba Supply in Norristown, PA. They are geared more towards the local wreck/tech diver than the carribean diver (although they do run a lot of Carribean trips). They own two of their own dive boats and run charters all the time (one located in Tuckerton NJ and the other in Brielle NJ). They have a ton of gear in stock and the staff is extremely friendly/helpful. I've found that their gear prices on average tends to be cheaper then other shops in the area.
Their website is www.northeastscubasupply.com

But it's hardly local for me however I have made the drive! Locally I use Underwater Discovery in Tom's River for fills and Diver's Two in Avon for equipment issues.

I know NESS VERY well. I was one of there first customers and have spent far too much money and time at this shop.

They are as baffling as LP when it comes to air fills. Cheap is the only word for it. And if you buy a season card you can get unlimited air fills for an entire year.

They do custom Nitrox mixing. They have seldom had to drain my Nitrox tanks because they use a computer program to calculate the exact O2 to top off a previously used tank even with a different mix.

The also have banks of 28, 30, 32 and 36% Nitrox.

They have helium and analyzers.

The controlling word is is Jersey Wreck diving.

They have back plates and wings. They do stock Dive Rite Transpacks.

They do try to fill an occasional trip to the islands but the local owner is big into Scuba on the local scene but does not personally dive all that much.

Did I mention thay have a pool (but it is outside). They have Dry suits for rent or buy. The best stock anywhere.

If you visit them please tell them I sent you and someday I will visit again (if I ever stay home long enough).

NESS was my first choice when I was working in Phoenixville, PA. They were practically on the way home everyday.

Due to the distance and my work requirements, I have been re-establishing ties to the dive shop that first certified me to dive. Under Water World in Horsham, PA. They are mentioned several times in the book "Last Dive".

This is without a doubt the nicest lookig shop in the Philly area. They have tons of gear of many makes and models. They now have dry suits for rent and do Nitrox fills.

The operating word here is choices!

UWW has supported me as an independent instructor with gear and support. I will try to purchase as much of my gear from them because without the LDS (and others) diving in Philly area would not be the same (or as good).

They also have an outstanding dive club, Aquanuts. The meet the first Monday of every month at Otto's on highway 611 just north of the Wilow Grove exit of the PA Turnpike.

They probably ahve the biggest team of Scuba Instructors in the entire Philly area and hold all types of classes year round.

The have warm weather diving trips to just about anywhere. (Except for the Florida Keys. That where I hope to help all of you who want a reasonably priced and warm place to dive).

I am a little prejudice, I work for NESS. I am lucky that they chose me to be part of the team. And yes, NESS is a little different and very focused. I am very familiar and have a lot of repsect for UWW and other shops in the area. One of the reasons I am happy to be on the NESS team is that the owner does not run off to go diving every month. He is a hands on guy and is in the store every day.

You're right, we do not have every product line in the store and maybe we could have more (there have been offers). But, I prefer to be focused and well trained on the products we carry and also to be well stocked in them.

Regardless of your choice, if you have a LDS that you like, talk to them. Tell them what you like and what you don't like. You'd be amazed to find out that they actually do listen.

Jeff

Northeast Scuba Supply in Norristown, PA - http://www.northeastscubasupply.com.

They are very helpful, friendly, have a huge selection and their prices aren't too bad either. They also have charters off the NJ shore all year round and they are an authorized Dive Rite, OMS and Halcyon retailer.

The Scuba Connection, Hills Bourough NJ http://www.tscscuba.com.
the nicest people you will ever meet, all with such passion about diving that after meeting them, and not previously diving, diving would then become a way of life and you would want nothing more then to dive all of the time with them. They were also nice enough to make me want to switch dive shops, from a place that is 10 minutes away from my house, to them which is 50 minutes from my house!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom