Favorite gauge console for Petrel 2 owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morg59

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got the petrel 2 computer and am now looking for a good set of gauges to compliment it. What are your favorite gauge consoles and why. Do you prefer air only or include depth and/or compass? Any opinions are welcomed.

2" SPG. The white face hold light better, but I like the black face, easier on the eyes in the cave. Clipped to left waist d-ring.

You don't need a compass, it's in the Petrel. You don't need a depth gauge, it's in the Petrel. If you need redundancy you should have another computer in gauge mode or a bottom timer. I have an xDeep BlackBT that is my redundant depth/time and compass.

Simple brass and glass SPG. If you are inclined to use a console, go for it....if that console already has a computer on it, it's your backup for recreational dives.

A Petrel in a console...Shearwater might repossess it :) Seriously though what other gauges do you want? You have depth, time, compass...all you need is a simple SPG which you should clip off to a hip d-ring.

2" SPG. The white face hold light better, but I like the black face, easier on the eyes in the cave. Clipped to left waist d-ring.

You don't need a compass, it's in the Petrel. You don't need a depth gauge, it's in the Petrel. If you need redundancy you should have another computer in gauge mode or a bottom timer. I have an xDeep BlackBT that is my redundant depth/time and compass.

This ...

They'd kick me out of the DIR club with a console.......as mentioned, 2" brass SPG, white, black or soon to be Orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for 2" Glass/Brass SPG. I use mostly white face SPGs but lately my last three have been black face. My eyes are old and the black face do alright.

I agree with the others in that a 2" brass/glass SPG is all you need in addition to the Petrel 2 (or any computer for that matter). If I feel like I need a backup timer, I run my Mares Puck Pro in gauge mode right next to my Petrel. I find consoles to be overly large and awkward.

They'd kick me out of the DIR club with a console.......as mentioned, 2" brass SPG, white, black or soon to be Orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for 2" Glass/Brass SPG. I use mostly white face SPGs but lately my last three have been black face. My eyes are old and the black face do alright.
A bit of a hijack but don't want to start a thread for just such a simple question. During my SM intro cave I had a lot of trouble seeing the gauge well enough to do more then estimate the psi. I have the thin 1.75 DGE gauges. Plan to change to the large SPG's but uncertain black or white face. I know the black is suppose to be easier on the eyes but do you find them easier to read? Thanks for your input.

I think so. It's all about higher contrast and reduction of glare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom