Favorite Fish to See?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a fish that makes you smile when you see it while diving? I am relatively inexperienced, but on a recent shallow reef dive off Key West, I had a lone yellowtail snapper follow by my side for a nearly hour-long dive. I guess he thought I needed a buddy. Made me smile.
Any Hamlet:

Barred, Shy, Yellowbellied, Butter…absolute fav: Masked. Just saw it in Grand Cayman.

Lizardfish/Sand Diver.

They remind us of our Chiweenie.

And this fellow , Sergeant Baker.
Endemic to Australia.
Some_image.width-1200.5dee89f.jpg

When I just started diving there was a mythical fish that you can only see reaaaly deep, like 30 meters+. Since then my definition of deep has changed quite a bit, but when I see a John Dorry my heart still skips a beat.

My most enthralling moment was the sight of Silvertip or Gray Reef sharks (edit: I can’t tell the difference between the two… anyone?) do a swim by in a parade one or two every other minute in crystal clear visibility in the Maldives. It was like a catwalk except that they were swimming out by the edge of the channel at Rashdoo Atoll while we divers were all lined up just a few meters away at the sides of the like spectators at a show… I was so hypnotised by the ones already passing by us that I forgot to look out for the next oncoming shark and missed some great headshots from just a few meters away… sigh!

I hope to repeat the experience at the same place over and over in the coming years, I loved it so much! I was really sad when my dive ended because the shark parade was still ongoing down below 20mtrs even as I started my safety stop… it started late into the dive and I only got a few minutes to enjoy it before I had to surface.

If you care to watch - The last few minutes capture the above scene but I recommend watching the buildup from the beginning of the dive approx 5 mins long)

Other than that my favourite fish is anything pan fried or grilled and sitting on my plate… :p

I change my answer. My favorite fish to see is any of them. 'Cause when I see fish, I am diving. And when I am diving, I am at peace with the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom