Favorite Dives and Operators around Ft.Lauderdale/Miami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghosty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I went to Key Largo and had a blast with Rainbow Reef last December. Three trips and they were all great. I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale this March, and was curious what are the favorite cool dives around that area. I've always read that Key Largo had the best cluster of awesome dives in the state, but I'm sure there are many others elsewhere, right?...

Debating on whether to do my AOW (three boat trips) with Rainbow Reef, or do it in the FtL/Miami area, maybe see some different/bigger sea life, etc. Obviously I can't do anything deeper until I complete the AOW. Comparisons with the Keys would be nice to hear.

I've already added Blue Heron Bridge as one possible dive to my list. And I am open to possibly doing a ferry to the Bahamas? Still researching all those logistics...

Last edited:
There are many, many great wreck and reef dives in SE Fl including Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton Beach, Pompano, Ft Lauderdale... You can read about many of them on SB.

So, I just noticed you have less than 25 dives, plan on doing your AOW, and are then going to the Galapagos? Quick progression

We just met in another thread, and now in this one.
There are many good dives from Fort Lauderdale north, as was mentioned earlier. I am currently staying in Pompano Beach, as I have done for a number of winter months over the past few years, and there is plenty of excellent diving nearby.

Thanks John, I'm reading up on all those locations. If people have favorite dives, that's what I'm looking for too, since there are are scores to choose from all down the coast.

So, I just noticed you have less than 25 dives, plan on doing your AOW, and are then going to the Galapagos? Quick progression
The Galapagos is a lifetime dream vacation as a Biology major, ocean enthusiast, etc. I got the opportunity to jump on a $600 flight. I'm not doing a liveaboard, but a good mix of activities including the Ecuadorian rain forest, island wildlife photography trips, etc. This isn't strictly a dive vacation.

What Scubada was suggesting was that the Galapagos diving is more difficult than a lot of people realize. He was suggesting getting a little more experience under he belt first.

I hear ya, and definitely taking that into consideration. I'm planning at least one other dive trip between March and June.

My local shop (OneWorld) has two women who have been there 20+ times (both land and liveaboards). They are the travel consultants there, and will be able to assess what would be the best dives for my beginner experience.

Pompano, which is just north of Ft Lauderdale, has some very cool wreck dives and a really nice shallow reef line if the marine conditions are calm and there's no surge. The shallow Copenhagen wreck and surrounding reef is one of my favorites. Lauderdale by the Sea has a close in reef that can be beach dove. With that said, I like diving in both Key Largo and Pompano and enjoy both places.

The AOW certification is worthwhile though many people wait until they have a few more dives under their belt to get it

what kind of diving are you looking for?...big fish ( sharks and Goliath groupers) is up in Jupiter (need aow)...wrecks are great in Broward county (some are even shallow)... beach reefs in Pompano/LBTS/and Hollywood.....have a great dive trip.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom