Favorite Cozumel night dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Title sums it up: what's your favorite Cozumel site, specifically for night diving?

We did an AWESOME night dive on Dalila(h?) last year. I'm not sure if it was the site or just luck, but we saw all the usual suspects, and a ridiculous amount of octopi, a huge sleeping turtle and a blacktip shark out hunting. I think our dive guide was as excited as we were. And the site was my suggestion so I got all the credit :D

It's ironic that you mention Delila. Sue and I were talking night dives and that's the first one that came to mind for both of us. And prompted me to ask about others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I tend to like Chankanaab or Las Palmas for night dives. Had a great one at Yucab once.

Go where your dive op tells you. Conditions change constantly, and what someone here says is "best" may not be your best option on the night you're actually diving.

A timely thread.

Just returned from a wonderful week of diving in Coz. Third stay at Iberostar and diving with Dressel. Great conditions all week, but with reduced viz on Punta Sur.

Dove Palancar Gardens at night for the first time - my new favourite night dive site (and pretty good daytime dive site too!!).

Night diving is about being in the right place at the right time. That said, we saw a nurse shark on the prowl, turtle, octopus, lots of lobsters, and the ubiquitous crab.

Punta Dalila is a close second now.

While I've been on several night dives in Cozumel, probably more than 20, I don't remember ever being given a choice - it was always Paradise. Last 5 or 6 times, I was diving with Dive with Martin, with a group staying at Casa Del Mar, so I understand that Paradise is close, easy to get to, and, as a shallow relatively flat dive, perfect for night diving. I'm not complaining, mind you, as I've had some great night dives, but I'm a little jealous of those who get more variety -- Is it only the divers staying at the far South resorts who get to go to Delila or Palancar Gardens for night dives?

Has anyone ever done a night dive at Columbia Shallows?

Anyplace other than paradise. Santa Rosa as a night dive was 'interesting' to say the least.

Is it only the divers staying at the far South resorts who get to go to Delila or Palancar Gardens for night dives?

No, our house is in town and we always meet the boat at the Caleta. Paradise is right outside the Caleta entrance, but that's not where we always go. Boats picking up divers at far south resorts in all likelihood started out at the Caleta anyway. Talk to your operator. To make a long boat ride economically feasible will require a certain number of divers, especially as it's usually just going to be a single dive at night. Those divers need to be willing to spend whatever time on the boat is needed to get to and from the site in the dark, and potentially get a bit chilled on the way back.

Anyplace other than paradise.

There's nothing wrong with Paradise unless several other boats are there. One time we gained a member of our group (which had previously consisted of just our DM, my wife, my son, and I) when a bazillion divers from someplace dropped on us. We headed out into the sand to hunt for stuff and avoid getting kicked, and this guy just stayed with us. After MANY attempts, my wife finally convinced him he was with the wrong group.

We've found all sorts of cool stuff at Paradise at night, including seahorses. Some of my best night dives have been there. We sometimes dive privately with our instructor friend who rents a boat from his buddy. We can go literally wherever we want. When Sandro recommends Paradise, that's where we go - he knows his stuff and he's never steered us wrong.

Santa Rosa as a night dive was 'interesting' to say the least.

A long time ago, on my son's first-ever night dive when he was 10, we ended up trying to dive there. He had trouble clearing his ears so descended slowly and because of the current he and I got separated from the rest of the group. My wife tried to stay where she could see both our lights and those of the rest of the group. Then my (rented) primary light died. Then my (personal) backup light died. Then my son's light started to go wonky. At that point my wife's light disappeared. My kid and I hovered over the bottom as it zoomed past and decided that although we had decent visibility due to the full moon and his iffy light, we should thumb the dive. Around that time, the boat returned with the rest of the group after my wife had made them come get us. Everyone decided the current was excessive for a night dive and we ended up having such a good time on Paradise that my son has been a night dive addict ever since. He still usually tries to keep his light off or covered as much as possible.

Our last night dive in Coz (only a month ago but seems longer) was on La Francesa. Very enjoyable, with lots of critters, and next to no current.

Back
Top Bottom