Fatty tanks of Nitrox!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvchief

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you like Nitrox and you like fatty tanks, you have another option. Merry-D is renting 100cf AL in nitrox now. Ask your OP! (Unless you are diving Aldora of course, before someone says it.)

If you like Nitrox and you like fatty tanks, you have another option. Merry-D is renting 100cf AL in nitrox now. Ask your OP! (Unless you are diving Aldora of course, before someone says it.)

Dear Chief,

Are you sure they are filled to the pressure that will make them a true 100CFt. Mostly they fill to 3000 PSI which means about 92 CF even if fat and weird buoyancy.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Wouldn't the benefits be negated if you are the only one on the boat with such a tank?

Wouldn't the benefits be negated if you are the only one on the boat with such a tank?
Not necessarily. If, for example, if your air/gas consumption is unusually high, such a tank might enable you to have bottom times more in line with the other divers on the boat.

Not necessarily, if your consumption rate was about 20-25% above your buddies and you are doing dive profiles that would normally require nitrox it would certainly help.

Dear Chief,

Are you sure they are filled to the pressure that will make them a true 100CFt. Mostly they fill to 3000 PSI which means about 92 CF even if fat and weird buoyancy.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Well I am sure they are probably not filling them correctly. They never fill the air to the proper 3300. Of course, maybe since they are premium they will get on the stick. Ill grab on in Dec and see.

And my experience back in the day was they do get a bit light at the end. Not weird. Just need to overweight a little for the safety stop at the end.

Only if you are forced to surface as a group. I dive with Scuba with Alison, one of the many diver your tank/computer ops. I am now to the point that I can almost stay down with Alison and my missus. Sadly, almost. And almost isn't good enough. Especially, because a soon as I get to 15 feet the missus stops to take a pic. The stronger the current, the more of a dead stop she makes. So I am at 15 feet swimming to stay over her. :rant:

However I have been cautioned, that when Alison and the missus are OOA, so am I. :facepalm:

and you are doing dive profiles that would normally require nitrox.

EVERY dive is a nitrox dive in my book. (except of course if it is deep)

Of course I insist on Tradicional or Hornitos in my margs, so I am choosy and like high quality tequila and breathing gas.....

This is good news to me, if all the operators have this option available. The last several trips I made were group trips where we all dove with Dive with Martin, and I had to choose between AL100 tanks and Nitrox - I couldn't have both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom