Fathom w/ inverted 3L

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inquis

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know how the Fathom (5 lb scrubber) trims out with just a pair of inverted [ETA: valve down] 3L cylinders onboard? I normally use LP50s, but I'd rather not burn the TMx that's currently in them doing a series of NDL dives to 30 ft.

@inquis - when you say "inverted" what do you mean? Do you mean valves up or down? I believe the standard Fathom config is valves up and it trimmed very well for me during the try dives. It was their standard "cave" config with 2x3L and a dilout setup.

Note, when we talk about trim, we usually forget one of the most critical variables - a diver's center of buoyancy. A diver with a gear is a system and the system buoyancy centers differ due to differences in body makeup. That's why a diver can trim well in one unit and require slight modifications in another unit to achieve good trim.

Thanks for the note... I was wondering about valves down.

Certainly trim can be a complex subject: in comparison to valve-up LP50s, weight is removed from the top, but some weight from the (longer) LP50s cylinder is removed from the bottom as well. My hope was the centers of buoyancy & mass of the rig might be close between the "tech" (2xLP50s valve up + 3L valve down) and the non-Fathom "standard" (2x 3L valve down). If so, then there wouldn't be much difference to the entire system (including the diver).

My initial thought was to do something like this with a slung AL40 for suit inflation/long hose/BO.
1702590802034.png

However, I'm now realizing the inline valves I have wouldn't work (since there's no room for a reg next to the canister). So, even ignoring the trim question, I don't see it working without either new valves or new cylinders. (If I have to spend money, I'd probably just grab a couple AL30s and run with the "cave" config.)

Thanks for the note... I was wondering about valves down.

Certainly trim can be a complex subject: in comparison to valve-up LP50s, weight is removed from the top, but some weight from the (longer) LP50s cylinder is removed from the bottom as well. My hope was the centers of buoyancy & mass of the rig might be close between the "tech" (2xLP50s valve up + 3L valve down) and the non-Fathom "standard" (2x 3L valve down). If so, then there wouldn't be much difference to the entire system (including the diver).

My initial thought was to do something like this with a slung AL40 for suit inflation/long hose/BO.
View attachment 815727

However, I'm now realizing the inline valves I have wouldn't work (since there's no room for a reg next to the canister). So, even ignoring the trim question, I don't see it working without either new valves or new cylinders. (If I have to spend money, I'd probably just grab a couple AL30s and run with the "cave" config.)
Just Lola 30's and a 2l o2 bottle 💰

Reef rig.

This is a common problem with the inline valves and many of the "tube-like" units. Some tank brackets provide enough room for the 1st stage but many don't. Best to ask/try before using in-line valves with the 1st stage pointed in towards a canister

Does anyone know how the Fathom (5 lb scrubber) trims out with just a pair of inverted [ETA: valve down] 3L cylinders onboard? I normally use LP50s, but I'd rather not burn the TMx that's currently in them doing a series of NDL dives to 30 ft.
Trims out perfectly. My wife and I both have the fathom tech setup (onboard 50s, separate oxygen and suit gas from two 3L tanks strapped behind the 50s). No concerns at all. Its like diving doubles.

My wife and I both have the fathom tech setup
Hey, that's 3 of us. 🙂 I'm faced with the same problem I had with doubles -- once there is trimix in the 50s, it hurts when max depth is only 30-40 ft. (My goal was to use just the two 3Ls, without the 50s.)

I tried to put a reg on with the inline valve moved up next to the canister -- not even close. Oh, well, I'll keep an eye out for the makings of a cave configuration. Thanks, everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom