Info Fathom heads now available for KISS Sidewinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantctobin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
See here: SW Sump Heads - Fathom Dive Systems

—SMB cells rather than Molex (significant improvement)
—Potted
—Threaded connectors (huge improvement vs KISS, indifferent vs LightMonkey)
—Sump heads so no ADV OPV (KISS has made runs of this in the past)
—HUD battery + electronics built into head (will be nice not having this stuck to loop)

If only they went with the IQ Sub bayonet connectors or we could buy their version of a sidewinder all out... Shame that they had to do that upgrade vs KISS themselves though

If only they went with the IQ Sub bayonet connectors or we could buy their version of a sidewinder all out... Shame that they had to do that upgrade vs KISS themselves though
Yeah unfort Charlie had some other reason for not using them in the Fathom loop head connection either

Standby, The Fathom Gemini is in the works.

Yeah unfort Charlie had some other reason for not using them in the Fathom loop head connection either
yeah I talked to him about that today. It's funny because my Kisskat is essentially a Sidekick equivalent of what this is. KISS went 85% the way there but took someone else to really make it look like a professional unit.

Called Charlie today about something else and we talked about it, I may be CCR shopping here in the near future. This looks good enough for me to go away from my Kisskat as a primary which I didn't think I would say for a few more years

I am sitting here looking at all the various upgrades wondering if Fathom could just build a Sidewinder, instead of having to buy a complete one from KISS then upgrading it?

Purely a hypothetical question, I'm not really in the market. Though I wonder if Charlie could improve other aspects of the design like flood resistance.

I am sitting here looking at all the various upgrades wondering if Fathom could just build a Sidewinder, instead of having to buy a complete one from KISS then upgrading it?

Purely a hypothetical question, I'm not really in the market. Though I wonder if Charlie could improve other aspects of the design like flood resistance.
That is probably what Tom is hinting at. My sidewinder is as many aftermarket parts as stock parts, semi unfortunately. It has great utility, but it’s not the best unit for many people.

See here: SW Sump Heads - Fathom Dive Systems

—SMB cells rather than Molex (significant improvement)
—Potted
—Threaded connectors (huge improvement vs KISS, indifferent vs LightMonkey)
—Sump heads so no ADV OPV (KISS has made runs of this in the past)
—HUD battery + electronics built into head (will be nice not having this stuck to loop)
Saw this and initially got sticker shock…but some really massive improvements there. I’m still gaining hours/ familiarity, but if I were to eventually upgrade to a needle it might be worth it. I just plugged the ADV and still getting used to it. They should throw in some tighter o-rings for the counterlung connections and I am sold 😂. Damn, I am trying so hard not to buy anymore dive gear.

Though I wonder if Charlie could improve other aspects of the design like flood resistance.

I'm waffling on adding an OPV to the bottom right of the counter lung.

I'm waffling on adding an OPV to the bottom right of the counter lung.
When I mentally played with the idea, I had decided on a Light Monkey tinkle valve. Never committed or went through with it though.

Back
Top Bottom