Fathom Five Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterPursuit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just booked a week vacation in Kauai.....

Based on my initial research (1 hour this morning) of websites and available comments/reviews, I am leaning towards diving with Fathom Five.

I'm an experienced diver and can only dive for about a day and a half because my Girlfriend doesn't dive. I am looking for reviews on Fathom Five, whether good or bad. I've noticed that most threads regarding shops attempt to redirect the person to a different shop or are used for a free opportunity to take a low blow at the shop being discussed etc. With that in mind, I would like to try and focus on one. Unless of course I have clearly missed the boat and have missed the fact that there is another shop that is the best in all of Hawaii etc. Hopefully you get my drift.

I recently dove in Playa Del Carmen and was in a group in which one of the divers was finishing their open water and was with another group on a different dive in which there was discover scuba diving folks. I would have swam back to Seattle if I would have thought I would have made it.

I'm looking for no hassles, no crap, good diving at a *reasonable* price. And really, I would like some cool dives as I have never been to Kauai before. I don't want to be slowed down by inexperienced folks....

I dove with Fathom Five last fall when I was in Kauai and was very happy with them. I did some shore dives at Tunnels beach and two days of boat diving on the South shore. I found the shop to be good and the folks were a pleasure to deal with. The only problem I had (and it may just be me) was with their smaller boat. To get back on you had to step on the drive and heave yourself onto the swim platform. They grab your BC to help pull you up but if you are not graceful (like me) then it can be awkward. The second day, I was on their bigger boat with a regular ladder to bring you all the way up to the swim platform and it was no problem.

The diving on the south shore was great with lots of cool things to see. Have fun.

I did a Discover Scuba with them last August and loved it. Thought they were a great operation all around.

My sister did an additional couple dives with them and had a great experience.

I'm going back in a month or so and I'm gonna check them out again

I dove with Fathom 5 last October on their boat and had an OK time. First 2 dive were nice, the 3rd was a waste of time, but we had a diver on board that wanted to turn the boat into a flotaing vomitorium so I think they chose a site close to the harbor for him.

For shore diving I still prefer Aquatic Adventures for top notch personal service.

You didn't mention the time of year, but if possible make sure you dive tunnels with an experienced op like AA. Ni'ihau is also not to be missed (Fathom 5 would be my choice for that trip)

I dove with Fathom Five last August, and they were awesome. Tunnels with Jeanette might be one of my most enjoyable diving days, although the dives at Koloa Landing were also great, and Niihau, my best day diving ever! It was like diving with old friends, Koloa Landing just D.M. and me, Tunnels, one diver and me with Jeanette who was awesome. I know you'll have a great time Kauai is the best. These are just a few pics, the last one is Tunnels Reef from a helicopter ride we took just before we left. I sure miss Kauai!

Attachments

• DSC_6504.jpg
    DSC_6504.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_6470.jpg
    DSC_6470.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_6136.jpg
    DSC_6136.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_6095.jpg
    DSC_6095.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_6084.jpg
    DSC_6084.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 83
I dove with Fathom Five last year.

Loved the operation. Loved that a max of 6 divers (plus DM) would be on the boats. All the DMs were friendly and knowledgeable.

I dove with Fathom Five 6 times ask for Holly she is the best guide if you want to see the cool stuff in kauai

I dove with Scott and Zoe on our last trip to Kauai and had a blast - dove Breneke's Ledge, Sheraton Caverns, "Fast Lanes" and "Harbor Ledges". I also have a non-diving spouse, so made an agreement with her that I could dive as much as I wanted on the Maui portion of our trip, but would only go diving a few times when we moved over to Kauai =)

Fathom Five in my experience was nice and laid back, with professional DMs who had lots of enthusiasm for their job and expert knowledge of the dive sites and critters. First trip had 2 or 3 other divers, second trip had 4 or 5 others. Was nice to be on a small boat!

Highlight for me was seeing a small group of dolphins underwater at Sheraton Caverns... that was awesome!

-B

Hello! -

I just realized that I never said "thank you" for all the great responses. You definitely helped me make a decision, the right decision.

Too be quite honest, I had also received a personal recommendation for Seasport and because of their pricing combined with my contact, I had decided to go with them. However, when I called, I was presented with someone that wasn't very friendly and didn't seem to care whether or not I went to Niihau with them. Coming from as far as I am and for how much the Niihau trip costs, the last thing I want is an unpleasant experience.

With that in mind, I decided to move forward with Fathom, even though they cost more.... I was excited to be greeted over the phone by friendly and helpful people that seemed to truly care whether or not I decided to dive with them. And the icing on the cake is that they only take a maximum of 6 people out.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes as well as share pictures. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom