Fatality off of Point Lobos, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver in distress off Point Lobos recovered after two hours - MontereyHerald.com :
First responders from multiple agencies attempted to rescue a diver who was reported to be in distress Saturday at Whalers Cove off Point Lobos, but they needed nearly two hours to locate the victim.
Cal Fire Public Information Officer Jonathan Pangburn said the call came in to dispatch at 12:30 p.m. after the victim's diving partner made an unsuccessful rescue attempt on his own.
A search for the diver was conducted by personnel from Cal Fire, Carmel Highlands and Cypress Fire District, along with the Monterey County Sheriff's dive team, California State Parks and the U.S. Coast Guard.
The victim was located at 2:22 p.m., recovered and transported to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, Pangburn said.
No information was available on the condition of the victim.

Scuba diver dies in Monterey | Monterey News - KSBW Home
Monterey, Calif. - A call came in Saturday afternoon about a diver in distress in Whalers Cove off of Point Lobos. By the time rescue crews arrived, the diver was reported missing.
With the assistance of CalFire, Monterey County Sheriff's Deputies, State Park officials, and the U.S. Coast Guard, the diver was located two hours later.
Monterey County Sheriff's Deputies declared the victim dead.
No word yet on the victim's identity of what led to the diver's distress.

Wow..very sad! My condolences to the friends,family, divers and rescuers. Peace be with you all.

Any update as to what happened?

Whoops, when I searched I did it by August 22nd and missed the year. Sorry for misinformation.

Last edited:
Wow, Peter - that's quite different from the 2 hours in the original news story, huh?

I think that is a second diver.

I know another diver who was there at Point Lobos on Saturday and the original account was accurate.

When I heard of the accident, I emailed him to check on his safety.

In his response he said: "We surfaced to the sound of fire trucks and emergency first responders. It is still unclear what happened but apparently, both divers ran out of air during the dive. The buddy lost contact with the other diver, returned to the launch where he reported him missing."

I have been searching since then and had also ran across that article but since it was San Carlos beach, I knew it was not the same incident.

So unfortunately, it appears there may have been two fatalities or the report of Monterey Bay and San Carlos beach are incorrect.

Keith

Peter_C's article is from last year, not the same diver.
A year ago tomorrow - thanks

Yes, a family friend also had a scuba accident around the same time. He was much younger than the diver described. I have no further details and won't be able to release names until it becomes in the public domain.

It's always sad when a diver does not surface, my prayers to all of the families and friends. Tragic news.

If anyone has any update, please post. As always, stay safe, be aware of your buddy and your air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom