Fatality Cabo San Lucas March 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it interesting that a dive shop owner thinks that the only co gets into a scuba tank is from placement of intake. That is most certainly one way, but compressor maintenance and location of compressor is just as much of a problem. The compressor must stay at a proper operating temperature, or the oil can combust much like a diesel engine.

In an article titled "Carbon monoxide questioned in Calgarian's diving death" (see Carbon monoxide questioned in Calgarian's diving death - Calgary - CBC News ) we read that:

Grant Stephanson, who "runs his own five-star PADI dive shop in Edmonton" comments without bias on PADI dive shops stating that "You have to show them that your air is checked on a regular basis, at least twice a year, and you know that it’s of good quality."

Clearly Johnoly does not know what he is talking about (although he fooled me): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...y-cabo-san-lucas-march-3-a-2.html#post6251758

Actually I am curious why this story is getting as much press as it is, so much more than many others similar?

In the last year, the average Canadian spent more time on line than did persons from any other nation.

In an article titled "Carbon monoxide questioned in Calgarian's diving death" (see Carbon monoxide questioned in Calgarian's diving death - Calgary - CBC News ) we read that:

Grant Stephanson, who "runs his own five-star PADI dive shop in Edmonton" comments without bias on PADI dive shops stating that "You have to show them that your air is checked on a regular basis, at least twice a year, and you know that it’s of good quality."

Clearly Johnoly does not know what he is talking about (although he fooled me): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...y-cabo-san-lucas-march-3-a-2.html#post6251758
He's wrong twice, huh? It used to be 4 times a year, but that requirement was discontinued some years ago - and wasn't enforced then.

In the last year, the average Canadian spent more time on line than did persons from any other nation.
I did wonder if a Canadian dying in Mexico was considered more unusual than for an American visitor?

When it was addressed on the 11:00 CTV News last night, it was covered like it was "another" death of a Canadian in Mexico. There have been several murders of Canadians in Mexico in the last couple of years and there is/was an advisory for Cdns travelling there. Just recently, a woman from Alberta, the same province as this diving victim, was beaten savagely and has now returned home to Alberta to recover. There is sensitivity about Cdns dying/being beaten/robbed in Mexico right now and this case has gotten more coverage than any other death of a Cdn SCUBA diver I've ever seen. The victim's husband and family appear to be quite vocal as well, so it is getting well covered.

So sad...

I've really learned a lot from this thread...also going to Cozumel in June (first time diving in Mexico) and will be ordering a portable CO analyzer this week.

I find it interesting that a dive shop owner thinks that the only co gets into a scuba tank is from placement of intake. That is most certainly one way, but compressor maintenance and location of compressor is just as much of a problem. The compressor must stay at a proper operating temperature, or the oil can combust much like a diesel engine.

One reason synthetic oils are used in compressors is that they have a higher flashpoint and are less likely to combust in an overheated compressor.

Not sure I would skewer the shop owner off a quote in a newspaper. His comments may have been edited, and, certainly he is speaking to one of the common causes of CO. Also comments can be "dumbed-down" as they are aimed at a non-diving public, not an indepth description of all of the nuances we would be aware of here. That said your comments regarding multiple potential sources of CO contamination are valid.

I wouldn't worry too much about Cozumel if you can stay close to your diving hotel and not go out at night, get drunk and stagger down some dark street by yourself in San Miguel. That and flashing bucks is asking for it. Stay in groups and get in at night. I wouldn't even think about traveling over on the Mainland. Biggest problem in both places are the corrupt police. Very dangerous to your wallet.

Clearly your info is outdated since PADI no longer has this requirement.

Clearly Johnoly does not know what he is talking about (although he fooled me):

You should read up on oil flash points and the difference between more expensive synthetics and cheaper mineral oils. An incomplete combustion is a lethal source of Carbon Monoxide.

I live and dive in Florida every weekend. I'd like to invite you to dive with several of us in West Palm/Jupiter so we can show you some of the safety items and routines we use that help to keep us safe.

Clearly your info is outdated since PADI no longer has this requirement.
It's clear that Grant Stephanson is not up to date. I think Crush was joking.

I think this was touched on a little bit over the previous 69 posts but not enough to satisfy my curiosity. If you are breathing in air that has too much carbon monoxide will you have obvious breathing difficulties? If yes, will those difficulties occur within the first few minutes of the dive? In other words, if you were to stay at a shallow depth for a few minutes would you KNOW to abort the dive? And if carbon monoxide wasn't the cause of this woman's death what other types of air contamination might be responsible for the other divers experiencing difficulty breathing? And is it possible (or HOW is it possible) for the shop that owns the tanks to have done something prior to or after getting the tanks filled, that would have contaminated the air? And finally, is there any sort of analyzer that will test for carbon monoxide AND other contaminants that would be dangerous for us to breathe at depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom