Fatality at Wacissa River Big Blue cave - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not being cave certified, I am speaking a little out of my element, but I think when things go bad on a cave dive without certification, the diver panics and doesn't know what to do, and ultimately tries irrational things that pop into their head, while training will give you a bunch of rational things to pop into your head if the situation calls for it.

Diving or doing anything beyond ones means; what goes through the mind to think they are capable.

Diving or doing anything beyond ones means; what goes through the mind to think they are capable.

As many have stated, most of these divers, don't realize that they have gone beyond their training & skills until it is too late, though just entering is beyond their skills. Many go in with the thought of "I'll just go in a little way", then "I'll go just a little further", "I can still see daylight, just a little further",...... I think you get the idea. I've always like the mantra that " going into a cave is easy, getting out may require some skill". Until things go wrong, many will assume it is safe,..... until it goes wrong. The video "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die", explains it clearly. A deceptively easy way to die - Cave Diving - YouTube . That is why there are 5 main rules that cave divers are taught & follow.
1. Training for the dive to be done
2. (continuous)Guideline to open water
3. Air (gas) management
4. Depth (do not go below trained depth limits)
5. Lights (1 primary & 2 back- up's)

Unknown......having worked in Emergency Services for over 30 years, I can't tell you the number of injuries/deaths due to "bad decisions". And, yes, I have documented in patient's charts, "Bystanders state patient said "Watch this""..........every single one of them resulted in the death of the patient...........we (the United States) still lose almost 30 people a DAY (works out to 1 every 48 minutes) due to motor-vehicle crashes involving a drunk driver (CDC - Impaired Driving Facts - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center) (last updated 10/2011). Again, bad decison-making.........

Despite all the information presented, all the training opportunities, this still happens (am I talking about drunk driving or diving beyond one's skill/knowledge??)

From 20 years of experience as an ER doc (and with every intention of being sexist in the statement), I have been known to say that the combination of testosterone and alcohol is one of the deadliest known to man. In fact, testosterone is an extremely dangerous drug in general . . .

The descriptions here have rightfully given readers the willies. In the Cave Diver's Forum, Matt (SuPrBuGmAn) described the recovery (in which he participated) in depth. It was far hairier than you can imagine from what you read here. More importantly, IMO, it showed what the diver had to do to get himself into that predicament, and it was not just a case of getting disoriented and panicking. The next class I teach (tomorrow night) will draw upon this incident very heavily.

The descriptions here have rightfully given readers the willies. In the Cave Diver's Forum, Matt (SuPrBuGmAn) described the recovery (in which he participated) in depth. It was far hairier than you can imagine from what you read here. More importantly, IMO, it showed what the diver had to do to get himself into that predicament, and it was not just a case of getting disoriented and panicking. The next class I teach (tomorrow night) will draw upon this incident very heavily.

John,

Do you have a link?? I was unable to find said thread.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom