• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fatality at Jersey Island

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by DandyDon, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Could that possibly be referring to IPE (Immersion Pulmonary Edema)? IPE can also be described as drowning in your own fluids...

2. KevinNM

KevinNM DIR Practitioner

Someone quoted the autopsy, which said it was stomach contents subsequent to loss of consciousness.

John C. Ratliff and Ayisha like this.
  3. MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    She could not have done a pre-breathe as the system as configured would not have passed a properly done pre-breathe. Breathing on a loop for 5 minutes while standing knee deep in water and not passing out is not an accepted pre-breathe by anyone's definition.

Sent from the heliosphere using Tapatalk

Douglas Ward and HIGHwing like this.
  4. gianaameri

gianaameri Solo Diver

• The pre-breather checks carried out on land by Mrs Smith were for 5 minutes (believed to be manufacturers recommended time) and this would have been insufficient time for the build-up of CO2 to be recognised by Mrs Smith. 10 minutes might have been more appropriate.
    Going to sleep now.

5. HIGHwing

HIGHwing IDC Staff Instructor

You missed Matt's point. The Pre-Breathe would not have passed - he never said she didn't do it.

6. gianaameri

gianaameri Solo Diver

"would not have passed" ???

It passed present two other rebreather divers.

She went diving and 3 minutes later she stopped moving.

7. HIGHwing

HIGHwing IDC Staff Instructor

We're going to agree to disagree.

Douglas Ward likes this.
  8. MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison Angel Fish

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    By that logic her rebreather was set up correctly because she wore it in front of another rebreather diver.

Logic is face-palming right now.

Sent from the heliosphere using Tapatalk

HIGHwing and Douglas Ward like this.
  9. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Whether or not she "passed" a 5 minute pre-breathe is irrelevant. None of the checks used were designed to stand alone, and having not checked (at a minimum) the one-way flow before doing the pre-breathe would render the pre-breathe less useful than planned.

If the goal of the pre-breathe was to catch each and every possible permutation of gross incompetence prior to the pre-breathe, it'd probably be 20 :censored:ing minutes and exactly nobody would do it. Gian and some mouth-breathing public official can point to the unit "passing" one check all they want, it doesn't change the fact that nobody is trained or supposed to rely on that one test alone, and it's very length is dependent upon it being used in connection with a whole series of other procedures and checks. If you do, don't whine when death comes knocking because of something that doing all of the basic checks would have caught. This was a tragedy, but the unit itself seems to have played a very minor role in it.

What I would very much like to know is how the Hell a freshly trained CCR diver could possibly have been so complacent. I think it's safe to say that most of us were not trained to just take a built unit, give it a pre-breathe, and drop...so why would someone with her OC experience and recent CCR training do so?

10. gobfish1

gobfish1 Angel Fish

if she did the pre breath all she dive was load up on co2 ,

you have made your point , lest,s move on

you keep going on about how this lady was at the top of her game work wise and also a dive instuctor / professional ,
    yet she she put the breather togeather like a red sea noddy , you must have seen them BC facing one way and the reg s facing the other way , .

im with you on it should be keyed , so you cant fook it up , and its v sad she did fook it up , she found a new way to kill your self ,
    it will get fixed , and we all will move on ,

when i was firsy looking at getting a breather , the one thing that pushed me toeards the YBOD was all the deaths , it seemed to me that , thay had found all the ways to kill your self with that unit , and with that info , i could / maybe keep my self safe as i know what not to do ,

funny how each of us see thingds , you had your pronlems on the ybod , then went for a meg ,

i work with tools , you work with your smarts ,

i dont like to point the finger at my tool if i dont do a good job
    i work with what i have, no sue some one , lol

Omisson and shoredivr like this.