Fatal crocodile attack NE Aus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess all those divers in California are nuts for diving in Great White areas as well. Did it for 2 years and didn't see one :(

*Far* more divers die from dive-related causes than from shark or croc predation. How few divers are taken by sharks - very few - most shark attacks are against swimmers or surfers (or teenagers from Amity). These two crocodile incidents in the past week are the first I can ever recall involving snorkellers or divers - don't know the exact statistics, but I'm betting greater than 95% of crocodile incidents occur in freshwater rivers and billabongs (and normally involve tourists either swimming or canoeing in areas known for croc activity! Hello Darwin). Crocs are also known for tent invasions - again, it's simple case of not sleeping on the ground near water in that part of the country (and part of the popularity of rooftop campers on 4WDs here!).

Anyway you should come diving downunder, we'd love to mEAT you!

I remember watching an interview early this year on tv about another croc attack that occurred on a scuba diver a few years ago, i think it was somewhere in far north queensland, and the diver had gone out with his best mate (diver) and non diver wife on their small boat somewhere close to the coast, and not very deep.
Anyway the two divers were seperated for about 5 mins while spearfishing and a croc grabbed the first diver around the upper legs, he said it was like being in a washing machine, it just kept rolling him over and over and trying to drown him.
He said he remembered hearing about how they actually kill is by drowning and concentrated on keeping his regs in his mouth. He said he was lucky, the croc seemed a little confused by him not drowning and let him go after a few mins although it felt like an eternity. They showed all the deep gashes on his legs and lower body from the teeth, had to have heaps of stitches.

I cant even begin to imagine how terrifying it would be to be in a situation like that! I had never even considered that crocs could possibly be a threat when diving before i heard that story....

He said he was just lucky it grabbed him as low as it did and that perhaps it wasnt all that hungry as it lost interest and let him go eventually.

I found a link to an amazing radio interview with a marine biologist who was also attacked by a croc in north queensland while diving in the ocean a while ago and got away. Its an amazing story to hear and he is just so calm speaking about it...
http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s948726.htm

Crocs can be pretty territorial and will attack an intruder who enters its domain. They are also opportunistic hunters [who will grap a cow drinking at the waters edge] and will also stalk pray.

They drown their prey by rolling them underwater [the death roll] and then store the carcass under a fallen tree branch for a number of days until the flesh has started to decompose. They don't really chew their meat, rather they tear off chunks and swallow [same as sharks].

Given the huge size of Australia [we have privately owned cattle stations that are 11,000 square kilometers - bigger than the state of Texas] you would be really unlucky to be attacked by a Croc, in fact you would have to travel a very long way to see one. Personally there are seasons of the year up north that I would not be diving in Croc waters - why risk it. I also wouldn't be diving in some waters off South Australia where the Great Whites hang out - why risk it. 90% of Australia's coastline is good for 'safe' diving if you don't want to be looking over your shoulder constantly.

I am constantly amazed when I hear, or read of attacks. Invariably it is mentioned 'they were surfing at a remote beach known to be inhabited by Great Whites....etc". Well we shouldn't be surprised that they were attacked, nor should they [although it is of course tragic when an attack occurs].

I have been through parts of Africa on game safaris and I certainly didn't jump off the jeep and start walking through the bush when we knew there were Lions prowling the area.

Before diving anywhere you should appraise yourself of the local conditions, threats, safety procedures etc. Armed with that information you make a calculated decision whether you want to enter the water.

If I listened to the media hype and folk lore about New York city in the '80's there is no way I would have ever travelled there. When I walked out of the airport for the first time I expected to be mugged and shot. The truth was it is one of the most esciting and welcomming places I have ever travelled to. I was walking out of clubs at 5 in the morning in the lower east side and felt far safer than I do inparts of Melbourne.

There are definately risks I wont take but I have learnt that hype, rumor and innuendo are generally very misleading - so now I seek out information personally and make informed, calculated decisions based on real and assumed risk levels. [plenty of US contractors working in Iraq make the same decisions every day - and lets hope that all of them make the right ones and stay safe and well].

lissette:
I found a link to an amazing radio interview with a marine biologist who was also attacked by a croc in north queensland while diving in the ocean a while ago and got away. Its an amazing story to hear and he is just so calm speaking about it...
http://www.abc.net.au/farnorth/stories/s948726.htm

I thought it was funny when he said he put the croc in a full nelson. Thanks for the link

Green Hand:
Crocs can be pretty territorial and will attack an intruder who enters its domain. They are also opportunistic hunters [who will grap a cow drinking at the waters edge] and will also stalk pray.

They drown their prey by rolling them underwater [the death roll] and then store the carcass under a fallen tree branch for a number of days until the flesh has started to decompose. They don't really chew their meat, rather they tear off chunks and swallow [same as sharks].

Given the huge size of Australia [we have privately owned cattle stations that are 11,000 square kilometers - bigger than the state of Texas] you would be really unlucky to be attacked by a Croc, in fact you would have to travel a very long way to see one. Personally there are seasons of the year up north that I would not be diving in Croc waters - why risk it. I also wouldn't be diving in some waters off South Australia where the Great Whites hang out - why risk it. 90% of Australia's coastline is good for 'safe' diving if you don't want to be looking over your shoulder constantly.

I am constantly amazed when I hear, or read of attacks. Invariably it is mentioned 'they were surfing at a remote beach known to be inhabited by Great Whites....etc". Well we shouldn't be surprised that they were attacked, nor should they [although it is of course tragic when an attack occurs].

I have been through parts of Africa on game safaris and I certainly didn't jump off the jeep and start walking through the bush when we knew there were Lions prowling the area.

Before diving anywhere you should appraise yourself of the local conditions, threats, safety procedures etc. Armed with that information you make a calculated decision whether you want to enter the water.

If I listened to the media hype and folk lore about New York city in the '80's there is no way I would have ever travelled there. When I walked out of the airport for the first time I expected to be mugged and shot. The truth was it is one of the most esciting and welcomming places I have ever travelled to. I was walking out of clubs at 5 in the morning in the lower east side and felt far safer than I do inparts of Melbourne.

There are definately risks I wont take but I have learnt that hype, rumor and innuendo are generally very misleading - so now I seek out information personally and make informed, calculated decisions based on real and assumed risk levels. [plenty of US contractors working in Iraq make the same decisions every day - and lets hope that all of them make the right ones and stay safe and well].

.........thanks for putting things in proper perspective. Australia is on my short list. I can't wait to visit, crocs. GW.'s and all.

Good Diving,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom