Fatal crocodile attack NE Aus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki:
Thanks for that report. Sorry to see it happen. Between great white attacks, now crocodiles, throw in some Box Jelley Fish, Australia can be a unforgiving dangerous place. At least, the natives are friendly.

I know I'll get ripped for this but I wouldn't dive Australia due to all the dangerous creatures. I couldn't imagine running upon a saltwater croc, dealing with an irie conjie (sp? the worlds most toxic sea creature no cure) Great White etc... NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

robbcayman:
I know I'll get ripped for this but I wouldn't dive Australia due to all the dangerous creatures. I couldn't imagine running upon a saltwater croc, dealing with an irie conjie (sp? the worlds most toxic sea creature no cure) Great White etc... NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

It is Irukandji, a type of box jelly fish, named after the local Irukandji Aboriginal people in Australia. Small, only 2cm across with 4 tentacles. But very deadly indeed.

I can deal with sharks, but crocs scare the poo right out of me! They're found throughout the solomon islands (one of my favorite places) and are regularly reported to attack islanders that fish in shallow waters.

Does anyone know the comparative stats for shark vs croc attacks in Oz?

Might make interesting reading...

robbcayman:
That's like saying you wouldn't hike in California because of the black bears, cougars and rattlesnakes...

fishnchips:
It is Irukandji, a type of box jelly fish, named after the local Irukandji Aboriginal people in Australia. Small, only 2cm across with 4 tentacles. But very deadly indeed.

Thanks for spelling it for me I've been trying to google it for some time. Thanks. Irujandji scares the holy crap out of me.

Don't start, it could get nasty (calm down). I will go and dive Darwin Harbour again
(they pull crocks out each night), there are some great USA Navy wrecks in the habour along with the sharks and crocks, I'd love to go back. We in OZ have the most dangerous speicies of the animal kingdom (sharks, snakes, spiders), we don't live in glass cages, These animals live in the same space as us - cohabitation - we live in their environment, we have to share. Know that's hard after a personal experience/tragedy, but something I believe is true. jmho

Air Pig's Mate:
we don't live in glass cages...these animals live in the same space as us
Sure we don't live in glass cages - I wouldn't want to - and it's great to just be outdoors, especially under the sea. But, we all make our own assessments of the risk and make our decisions accordingly.

For my money, anywhere up and down the east coast is fine (that's thousands of miles to play in, including the Great Barrier Reef), but you won't catch me diving in the Gulf country of South Australia especially near a seal colony like the surfer last week, and you'll wait a long time to see me diving or swimming in saltwater croc territory up north.

Thrills are fine, but I'm not keen on becoming part of the food chain. And with the numbers of big salties going up every year, it's a risk I won't take. Call me a pussy, fine. But let's just know what we're getting into when we decide to share temporary accommodation with crocs and big sharks.

Back
Top Bottom