Fatal crocodile attack NE Aus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo:
That's like saying you wouldn't hike in California because of the black bears, cougars and rattlesnakes...

Exactly ... or drive in CA cuz of the road rage or go to NYC cuz you'll be mugged.

However, two croc attacks a week apart is disconcerting. How deep do crocs go? The theory goes that shark attacks are usually a case of mistaken identity (e.g., divers look like seals, etc.) but what drives a croc? Dinner?

DiveGolfSki:
What drives a croc? Dinner?
That's a can of worms you've opened there and there may be a repechage from someone like Air Pig's Mate, but the short answer is, 'yes'. Human tartare is on the big croc's menu.

Scubaroo:
Bloody hell, a scuba diver was taken today. This is a separate incident to the snorkeller a few days ago, and about 600-700km away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1471380.htm

Unheard of.

Just in the interests of protecting our tourism industry, this is about 2500km from the Great Barrier Reef!

First off, my prayers go out to his family. That being said, I rest my case. Second guy in a week The chances of running into a croc or a Great White are rare but I don't want to put myself in that situation. As for your rattlesnake, bear analogy that's kind of a weak analogy. If I am hiking in the woods I can run and defend myself a million times better than I could if I was underwater i.e. due to speed, cover, plus I could have a weapon while hiking (bear mase, gun etc..) Put it this way if a croc was to come at you would you prefer to be on land or in the water??? I am in no way attacking your decision of putting yourself at risk but I refuse to do it. Call me a chicken and I HONESTLY pray we aren't reading the same article about you. To each their own!!!

discrepancy:
Sure we don't live in glass cages - I wouldn't want to - and it's great to just be outdoors, especially under the sea. But, we all make our own assessments of the risk and make our decisions accordingly.

For my money, anywhere up and down the east coast is fine (that's thousands of miles to play in, including the Great Barrier Reef), but you won't catch me diving in the Gulf country of South Australia especially near a seal colony like the surfer last week, and you'll wait a long time to see me diving or swimming in saltwater croc territory up north.

Thrills are fine, but I'm not keen on becoming part of the food chain. And with the numbers of big salties going up every year, it's a risk I won't take. Call me a pussy, fine. But let's just know what we're getting into when we decide to share temporary accommodation with crocs and big sharks.

AMEN!!!!

robbcayman:
First off, my prayers go out to his family. That being said, I rest my case. Second guy in a week The chances of running into a croc or a Great White are rare but I don't want to put myself in that situation. As for your rattlesnake, bear analogy that's kind of a weak analogy. If I am hiking in the woods I can run and defend myself a million times better than I could if I was underwater i.e. due to speed, cover, plus I could have a weapon while hiking (bear mase, gun etc..) Put it this way if a croc was to come at you would you prefer to be on land or in the water??? I am in no way attacking your decision of putting yourself at risk but I refuse to do it. Call me a chicken and I HONESTLY pray we aren't reading the same article about you. To each their own!!!

I was told by a friend of mine (a keen outdoorsman) living in Northern Queensland that while the media are fond of highlighting shark attacks - I can only guess that it makes exciting reading - they ignore a lot of the crocodile attacks. Apparently, a lot of these attacks are on people living in isolated areas or native reservations who - after a night out on the drink - decide to take a shortcut home.

robbcayman:
As for your rattlesnake, bear analogy that's kind of a weak analogy. If I am hiking in the woods I can run and defend myself a million times better than I could if I was underwater i.e. due to speed, cover, plus I could have a weapon while hiking (bear mase, gun etc..)

Bear
Run...from a bear? You could, but most people that know what they are talking about would say it is highly inadvisabe. They may look big and clumsy, but they can outrun you in a heartbeat, and running only tends to entice them to chase you.

Fight? You mention a gun. Hmmm...if hikers in California are allowed to carry guns around with them, I may have gone to California for the last time. Mace is effective...as long as the wind cooperates.

Snakes

Again, not sure what good running would do you, since most snake bites are in self-defense and from an ambushed position. In most cases, the bite victim was completely unaware of the presence of the snake until the bite had already happened.

Guns, mace? see above.

robbcayman:
Put it this way if a croc was to come at you would you prefer to be on land or in the water??? I am in no way attacking your decision of putting yourself at risk but I refuse to do it. Call me a chicken and I HONESTLY pray we aren't reading the same article about you. To each their own!!!

Crocs attack from the water or in the water. If you are within 10 ft of the shore, you are at the croc's mercy, if he chooses to take you. If you are further than that, you don't have to worry about how a croc attack will happen, because it is almost unheard of anyways. But again so you know, your chances on land wouldn't be much better if one did decide to attack. From what I understand, crocs can outrun a thoroughbread race horse for a short distance sprint. So unless you happen to have your racehorse with you, not sure how much good running would do ya'.

Good thing the chance of getting attacked by a croc is pretty statistically negligible...but watch out for those bears and rattlesnakes! :D

DiveGolfSki:
Exactly ... or drive in CA cuz of the road rage or go to NYC cuz you'll be mugged.

However, two croc attacks a week apart is disconcerting. How deep do crocs go? The theory goes that shark attacks are usually a case of mistaken identity (e.g., divers look like seals, etc.) but what drives a croc? Dinner?

Unlike sharks, who don't generally like us 'cause we're too bony, the crocs like us 'cause we're crunchy. :wink:

gangrel441:
Fight? You mention a gun. Hmmm...if hikers in California are allowed to carry guns around with them, I may have gone to California for the last time. Mace is effective...as long as the wind cooperates.

Unlike sharks, who don't generally like us 'cause we're too bony, the crocs like us 'cause we're crunchy. :wink:

That's it. I'm arming myself for walks in California and dives in Australia ... besides bear meat is delicious and so are crocs (tastes like chicken ...) :D

robbcayman:

Well, since it seems that salt water crocs are not necessarily limited to the GBR, does that mean you'll just stay in safe waters ... like quarries and lakes? Better be careful, I hear that sunfish attacks can be lethal ... :fish: :D

Limiting one's diving due to perceived risks seems to be counter-intuitive with a sport like diving. Would it make more sense to wait till more information regarding these attacks come out (e.g., location, frequency of croc sightings, conditions, etc.) and then evaluate the risks rather than writing off the entire Australian dive environment?

Suit yourself, I hope to go to Australia, dive the GBR, drink the beer etc. in spite of great whites, box jellies and crocs.

I would reply to each one of these but I wouldn't know where to start. Diving is a risk but so is driving a car. However, there are different levels of risk you can choose to take. You can choose to wear a seatbelt when driving or not. According to what you guys say then maybe I shouldn't be driving a car either, or maybe I should drive a car and wear a seatbelt. A similar example could be the stock market. We all know the stock market has risks however playing the market is not a bad idea when you stay away from dangerous situations and LIMIT your risk. This is just something I feel is personally not for me I want to dive another day.

I don't want to get too deep into analogies but I'm trying to prove a point. PS: sunfish are dangerous and also scare me!!! LOL!!!!!!!1

Back
Top Bottom