Fat Secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Excellent* Pete... congrats on all the progress!
I know the trick is in setting goals...

I agree with Shasta, though, to balance the caloric intake reduction with exercise -- it's important to keep the metabolism up, which otherwise eventually slows down to compensate for the reduced calories...

Keep up the great work --

One thing one needs to remember about ones metabolism is that you can actually lose weight with an increase of food. The important key is this: limit or eliminate junk food, and talk with a doctor/nutritionist about it.

Some important disclaimers: At the time I was under the very watchful eye of an actual Doctor (Ph. D etc) who specialized in Nutrition and weight loss. I met with her assistant EVERY week to go over what I ate, weight loss etc. So before anyone says something about the rapid weight loss, it was under a Doctor's strict and watchful eyes.

During the initial meeting with the Doc we did discuss my unique problem (30 yrs old and a severely malformed hip joint and arthritis ravaging a lot of the joints, esp. the one that is being replaced). We discussed the options and came up with a diet plan that I had to follow. I was to eat 16oz of protein a day, unlimited fruits and veggies and SEVERE restrictions on carbs (a serving or two of bread a day, no rice, no speghetti etc). Thanked her and quickly went home, bought the scale and waited a week for the first follow up.

First follow up I lost 14 lbs the first week. I only ate the 16oz of protein a day with tons of veggies. Prior to the surgery I would average almost 5 lbs/week weight loss (again, all under careful eye of a doctor). I did have weeks were I gained a few pounds back or lost 1-2 lbs, but overall I shed 60lbs in a little over 3 months time.

When I talked to her I asked why I was shedding so much weight and eating almost like a horse. She smiled and said its one aspect a lot of people don't realize about a body's metabolism and human physiology. The Human Body is close to being the perfect, if not perfect, creature for storing energy (fat). That by limiting yourself to X calories and # of meals your not training your body to maximize the food you eat. Also, the very act of metabolizing food burns calories naturally (and thus, more weight lost). The best example she came up with was car MPG. She said you look at a vehicle that has to constantly start/stop your MPG is lower than a car that doesn't have to stop as much (Highway). The same basic principal works with the human body.

In essence, by eating lots of very small meals I kept my body constantly digesting food (metabolism) almost 24hrs a day. That eating an apple for a snack is 95 calories, but your body could end up using over 95 calories to properly digest it.

I've dropped 40lbs in the past 3 months or so because I went back to eating a lot healthier (I have a piece of meat and a load of veggies for a meal) and then eat fruits for snacks. I walk a lot more (physical exercise is now a lot less painful with the new hip), living on the 3rd floor w/ no elevator and having to bring out 2 dogs 3x day helps too.

Another important thing that I brought out of those meetings was the concept of 'guilt'. When a person is on a diet and they break it, they feel guilty and then go and splurge. The most important thing to do is realize you will break your diet every so often. The best advice the doc's gave me was don't feel guilty on it. If you went out and had a large dinner at a BBQ place with friends, don't beat yourself up over it. Just shrug it off and say "I screwed up" and get back onto your diet the very next day. During my rapid weight loss I went out to a BBQ place, Italian restraints with my parents, ate stadium food etc. A lot of the times I ate smart, but a few times I was stupid. The biggest thing they told me was NOT to feel guilty that I broke my diet plan.

NetDoc, and others, keep up the great work! Please don't take my post to say what your doing is wrong, just want to pass along information about how the human body works in regards to metabolism and weight loss. I'm a firm believer that the more information one has the better it is.

I will also leave with this gem that I got from the doctor. Weight loss is not a temporary thing for most, to have it be successful long term it requires a lifestyle change. That most of us will need to learn new eating habits or we can very well start back at square one in the future.

Dear NetDoc ,
I am really inspired from your post that you have lost your weight to a great extent by food . I also have fat problem . Do you think i would follow it will also work for me . Your suggestion would be highly appreciable .

Hey Pete, how about an update? Have not seen you since BTS in March. I wish I did not have to cancel my Key Largo trip for the end of this week due to the potential weather.

So far, I have lost 32 pounds using Fat Secret. Yesterday I went to the DWADD event at Santa Catalina Island in California. For the first time ever I wore a 7 mil suit. In order to sink I had to put on 34 pounds of weight. WOW!!! What I have lost in the last four months is AMAZING!

Gulp, I had 36# of lead on my belt that day.

Back in the late 70s I hit 240 lbs and decided it was time to diet. I counted calories and limited myself to 900 per day except once a month when I allowed myself to pig out (often getting sick doing it). I coupled that with LOTS of exercise (swim 1 mile, stationary bike for 30 min, weights for 30 min. Lost 70 lbs in 4 1/2 months. Decided I was too thin and gained about 25 back.

Of course I only get a time slice view of you Pete. Don't waste away before next year's DWADD!

As someone who has started watching what he eats, I know how hard it is to break the bad habits. It was not really what I ate as much as it was my portions. When I would frequent fast food establishments I would get the combo and then some other items on top of it. Recipie for weight gain there.

I wish you luck, and some tips for you

1. Juice is BAD, stay away from all fruit juices. A cup 250 ml of grape juice has over 300 calories, all fructose, so sugar.
2. Carbs are your enemy. Try to limit your carbs to the daytime, when you are most active. Evening carbs are wasted and are transformed into fat
3. Add lemons. Our bodies are all alkaline now. I am sure with you living in FLA you eat more citrus than most, but shy away from the oranges in favor of lemons

Good luck with your adventure..

Sir
I am from India, what we regularly do is easy and simple, breath control called 'Pranayama'. Breathing exercise, you will be amazed at the calories you can burn with that, all the time you could do it (Different types of course), can go on in little more detail , if you permit me to. in a nutshell, here are a few

(a) Kapal Bati :- Youtube has a lot of video on it, you could see the video of Baba Ramdev, this one is a burner. exceptional for middle torso, eyesight, etc,

(b) Anulom Vilom :- another super stuff, not as powerful as the previous done well you could go off to sleep and sleep like a baby (while still burning)

(d) Brahmiri :- i found this the best for getting into breathing rhythm to consume least air while diving, i am yet to come across some who consumes less than me (With an exception of some real good young children, they practically don't breathe because of their body size probably). Brahmiri and its vibration is i believe spiritually good too (though i am not spiritual (into spirits, yes :cheers: )). what Brahmiri actually does is balances your hunger levels (That is if you are anorexic, makes you hungry and opposite for opposite)

(e) There is also this sudershan Kriya, again like the Kapal Bati, little more powerful and needs to be done under guidance

Dont be intimidated by these names, they are simple and extremely easy to follow along, especially for divers, Best Part, it is not strenuous at all, in fact after a while it becomes an habit, to be in a state constant Pranayama and be sensitive to change of your own breath

PS
I guess, this bump will do someone good[/B]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom