Fast Moving Coral Disease Alert on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully it helps. I have been watching the Harbour Village live webcam on YouTube and have seen how rapidly it overtook the brain coral.
I watched that coral die as well. There's now quite a few corals that are bleaching in view of that cam. Seems like an excellent place to test the antibiotic treatment since it can be monitored constantly

Attachments

• IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 60
They are using the antibiotic paste.

They are using the antibiotic paste.
Here in the keys it worked on a limited basis and no real way to apply it on a larger scale per the scientists

if this is bacteria, which very likely this is, you won't be able to make enough antibiotic to deal with it. What it needs is a bacteriophage.

What is the thinking behind the antibiotic paste? Yes, it may be protective while it's on there, but it'd have to be consistently reapplied perpetually; otherwise the coral dies in a few months instead of now. Or next year. Etc...

In humans, beating down an infection temporarily makes more sense; it offers the immune system more time to mount an effective response. I haven't heard of that in corals.

Are the people putting out antibiotic paste doing serial reapplication to maintain specific treated corals? Not just in Bonaire, but elsewhere?

Hi @drrich2

My impression is that the antibiotic is applied in some form of epoxy to the advancing border of infection. It remains in place and is designed to arrest the continued spread to uninfected coral by leaching out antibiotic at the site. This would not last forever but hopefully long enough the active infection burns out, leaving some healthy coral.

Personally, I have not seen longer term results, but, have not really looked. If others know more about this, please share with us.

if this is bacteria, which very likely this is, you won't be able to make enough antibiotic to deal with it. What it needs is a bacteriophage.

And what could possibly go wrong, right?

Personally, I have not seen longer term results, but, have not really looked. If others know more about this, please share with us.

“Since 2014, Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) has led to mass mortality of the majority of hard coral species on the Florida Reef Tract. Following the successful treatment of SCTLD lesions on laboratory corals using water dosed with antibiotics, two topical pastes were developed as vehicles to directly apply antibiotic treatments to wild corals. These pastes were tested as placebos and with additions of amoxicillin on active SCTLD lesions on multiple coral species. The effectiveness of the pastes without antibiotics (placebo treatments) was 4% and 9%, no different from untreated controls. Adding amoxicillin to both pastes significantly increased effectiveness to 70% and 84%. Effectiveness with this method was seen across five different coral species, with success rates of the more effective paste ranging from 67% (Colpophyllia natans) to 90% (Orbicella faveolata and Montastraea cavernosa). Topical antibiotic application is a viable and effective tool for halting disease lesions on corals affected by SCTLD.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom