Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressure makes no difference when farting...and you have no idea what you're missing. I've had some of my best farts at 50-60m.

:tmi:

Damn, you can find anything on the Internet! :shocked2:

010-7.jpg

Nice!!! That relic looks to be from before the days of the chemical heaters that cause people problems with MREs and airplanes now, so it makes sense that the food itself is the issue. I have heard nothing of such a restriction for the last decade or so. Will have to ask the doc if there is still anything on the books on that subject.

Since the military aircraft reference was made:

Unfortunately I was witness to a few C-141 aircraft "Can you top this one?" farting competitions. "Engineer! Max air!!!" One of my buddies once received major kudos for causing a flight engineer to leave the cockpit to vomit in the bathroom downstairs. He is a legend to this day.

When we fart at depth, do we release the normal volume of gas resulting in giant bubbles by the time it reaches the surface - or is our gas already compressed, letting out tiny farts that reach normal size at the surface?

:idk::dork2:

I tried this today so that I could recall to you the answer. Problem is, I dive dry :vomit:

Nice!!! That relic looks to be from before the days of the chemical heaters that cause people problems with MREs and airplanes now, so it makes sense that the food itself is the issue. I have heard nothing of such a restriction for the last decade or so. Will have to ask the doc if there is still anything on the books on that subject.

Maybe they are adding beano nowadays? :hm:

My physics course was a long time ago, but I seem to recall that Boyle said that PV=nRT. N= the mass or the physical number of molecules of fart gas that are produced. R is a constant and T is for temparature that is also pretty much constant on most recreational dives. So, that means that there is a completely inverse relation between volume and pressue. So if you go down with a fart in you, it will indeed get comrpessed. Assuming our body works at depth, then if your body digests more at depth, it will make the same number of molecules of gas as it normally would. But it is volume that likely determines when you need to fart. Whether you could make enough gas to create a volume that would match the force needed to blow a fart at the surface is a great question. Assuming that you can, then it will involve a lot of molecules given the effect of pressure to reduce volume. A fart at depth therefore should (a) greatly expand on ascent; (b) reek like a pig for the amount of methane or hydrogen sulphide you produced; and (c) blow a massive hole in your wetsuit if you don't let it go before ascent.

:rofl3: Well reasoned!

Yet another thought:

If the gas in your body compresses with depth and you still produce enough extra to need to vent (fart), will this cause a vacuum on ascent where your ass will suck in ocean water?

Kinda like the old question - Is a frog's ass watertight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom