Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inside or out, the gas will expand on ascent (the body not being a 'rigid' container). On that basis, if you feel the need to vent at depth, it's probably a wise idea - because the consequences of having that gas dramatically expand on ascent are quite explosive.

That said, with the effects of pressure/compression - you'd need to be producing a lot of exhaust gas to even feel the urge to vent at depth.
I know I sound like a nerd, but the intercolonic gas is at ambient pressure prior to diving. Since the volume of gas is not added to or changed (unless reduced by off farting, err, I mean off gassing) during the dive it will occupy the same volume on ascent back to the surface.

Going back to beginner physics the issue with not holding your breath while diving is because the volume of gas is compressed at depth due to water column pressure. The volume will expand as you rise and if you hold your breath bad things will happen.

But, a snorkeler or free diver doesn't have to worry about diving to depth then returning back to surface because volume of air in the lungs did not change during the dive. Same is true of intestinal gas. Unless you, err, off gas during the dive.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Y'know, that could be serious . . . if one needs to produce gas at 3 atm . . .

What's the hand signal for "I can't ascend, I have to fart first?" :hm:
Hold up one hand as saying wait a minute, then wave your other hand behind you like, "whew, you do not want to be back there!"

Reactions: Jax
When I fart, I always invert first so it come out the leg of my shorty. I don't like the way it feels going up my back. I dive inverted a lot, not because I have gas, I just like to dive that way. Butt, (pun intended), if you see me invert in mid water for no apparent reason.
:crafty:

With controlled gas expulsion, could we looking at a new method of dive propulsion vehicle? Would the cost of such gas producing foods actually benefit in cost reduction of a DPV over time? Just thinking.

if this is really an issue... just pop a few of these before you go. :thumb:

gasx.jpg
.... or .....
images

haha, not an issue for me at all! As a law abiding citizen of the unwritten "Man Code", I shall let loose when and where is necessary. I am even hoping that the bubbles we release are of monstrous proportions (and stench) when they surface. And come on now everybody, we all know the best part of a good Mexican breakfast is that it comes with refried beans!!!

Obvious question: After a large fart, do you have add a puff or two to compensate for the loss of bouyancy of the gas?

:arrr:

I know I sound like a nerd, but the intercolonic gas is at ambient pressure prior to diving. Since the volume of gas is not added to or changed (unless reduced by off farting, err, I mean off gassing) during the dive it will occupy the same volume on ascent back to the surface.

But the amount of gas can also increase during the dive by means of digestive action. That means that upon ascent, the volume of gas at some point will be more than what was there before the dive. And we all know what's going to happen then, right?

Back
Top Bottom