Farting in the big bathtub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on whether or not you find yourself more buoyant in your drysuit.:D

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

The actual nerd answer is you would release the "normal" volume. The amount of gas is independent of the pressure. The depth and the pressure will determine the size of the bubbles. Don't forget your training. You can hold your nose but don't hold your breath!

Every time I fart in a sealed wetsuit, it just travels up my suit and comes out the neck, right in my face. :confused:

Wetsuit farts in the newer wetsuits are like suicide after eating eggs, bacon, and any caffeine whatsoever. I'm done with that! As of about two years ago, I'm holding it til the surface, ha ha.

Thinking about the physics of this I disagree with the small volume at depth theory. For enough gas to build up, which would require release, wouldn't said fart be the same size in your gut as at the surface? If this is true (and logical to me) that would mean a massive discharge at the surface. BTW I think Mythbusters busted the bubbles sinking a ship theory IIRC.

How much sleep did you lose formulating this question?

Haha, none actually. A non-diving friend was visiting and I was babbling about diving (as usual), to which he could care less (as usual). I mentioned something about gas expanding when it rises and he asked what happens to farts. I pondered the question and figured it'd be best to let the board decide!

Sounds like a really stinky situation to me. :D:dork2:

(okay, where's the drum roll smiley when you need him?)

And the popcorn smiley!! He seems to have been kidnapped!

Every time I fart in a sealed wetsuit, it just travels up my suit and comes out the neck, right in my face. :confused:

Wetsuit farts in the newer wetsuits are like suicide after eating eggs, bacon, and any caffeine whatsoever. I'm done with that! As of about two years ago, I'm holding it til the surface, ha ha.

Grasshopper, you must shift your balance to allow the precious to escape through your leg!

When we fart at depth, do we release the normal volume of gas resulting in giant bubbles by the time it reaches the surface - or is our gas already compressed, letting out tiny farts that reach normal size at the surface?

:idk::dork2:
It's physically impossible to off-gas ambient air that you take to depth with you. But - on the other hand - if you take along a toy inflator attachment on a spare hose and shove it up your backside at depth -now you have something to discuss.

Last edited:
If methane gets trapped in a dry suit, along with surface air, How many farts create an explosive atmosphere in side the suit?
Should you move away from a fat guy when he breaks the seal a dry suit?

If you want to get into the physics of it, think about this one. If gas is more dense at depth due to the pressure, does that mean the smell is also more dense and when it gets to the surface is actually magnitudes worse than if let loose at the surface???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom